Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

Is This Byres Road?

1930? Seems quite late for a building of that ilk. Only 9 years before WW2.

Found this, btw;

http://www.glasgowcinemas.co.uk/glasgowcinemasge.html

there's a bit there about a proposed cinema at that very site in 1922. Doesn't say whether it's a newbuild or a conversion of existing property, nor does it say on which side of the road it was intended for (RBS or beside yon rotunda!)...

Anyways, whatever, if you're about Byres take a look at the vista up the road from Iceland. I'm 100% sure now the photo was taken from there, whether the given date's wrong or right.

Wonder where the terminus of the then tram to Cathcart was?

This image is either in one of the Stenlake collections (Bygone Ashton Lane Volume XXIII or whatever) or it's in the big green book about the West End that's kicking around the house and I can't find, the one with the piccie of Jefferson Davis in it.

Great stuff, AlanM. Or should that be SherlockH?

I was a bit dubious about it being the same site, as I thought tenements were 19th century. But if you scroll to the right, you can see the same garage, where the supermarket is today. So, the MacKinlay's electrical/plumbing shop is where the Royal Bank of Scotland is now.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Dex, that's what posed the question in the first place.

Grosvenor Mansions (the tenement in question) was completed in 1931, it's set in stone, above the top floor flat's bay window - pic to follow.

And I also got a pic of the scene today, which I'm about to process and upload.

Same scene today, I've cropped it as closely to the "before shot" as I could

384901518_ba64243707.jpg

and the date..

384900635_55d3f19a83.jpg

Excellenty! It definitely is Byres Road, but the photo's been fiddled with. The Ruthven Street tenement windows (including those bricked up to avoid window tax) are identical in both pics. Bet you were pleased to find that date.

Yup, AlanM, that's exactly the view I saw the day, about 4.30, whilst attempting to get a tenner out of the cash-machine afore it runs out of dosh for the weekend, on account of those Ashton Lane party people...:-)

I'd never noticed before today but the Grosvenor Mansions tenement seems to be the only one up that side of the street that hasn't been stone-cleaned. Your photie shows that up really well; it seems to merge into the darker stone of those modrener flats above M*rris*ns.

Guest onyirtodd

Yup, AlanM, that's exactly the view I saw the day, about 4.30, whilst attempting to get a tenner out of the cash-machine afore it runs out of dosh for the weekend, on account of those Ashton Lane party people...:-)

I'd never noticed before today but the Grosvenor Mansions tenement seems to be the only one up that side of the street that hasn't been stone-cleaned. Your photie shows that up really well; it seems to merge into the darker stone of those modrener flats above M*rris*ns.

Haud the bus!

You were at a cash machine (renowned for running out of weekend dosh) near The Chip and you thought a tenner would do?

Amateur :wink:

Hoi, Onny! I'm no averse to buying my round, ye knaaaaa that fine well!

But certain gents of this parish seem content to furnish a lady wi drinks all night if she's wearing the correct baffies.

And why not?

:wink: :lol:

Guest onyirtodd

Hoi, Onny! I'm no averse to buying my round, ye knaaaaa that fine well!

But certain gents of this parish seem content to furnish a lady wi drinks all night if she's wearing the correct baffies.

And why not?

:wink: :lol:

and why not indeed.

Guest westender

Same scene today, I've cropped it as closely to the "before shot" as I could

384901518_ba64243707.jpg

Et voila... I refer yese all to my earlier post:

Now that I look at it again, I am now certain that the three corner bay windows above the passing tram are indeed the present day windows above Gregg's

8)

Excellenty! It definitely is Byres Road, but the photo's been fiddled with. The Ruthven Street tenement windows (including those bricked up to avoid window tax) are identical in both pics. Bet you were pleased to find that date.

The "window tax" thing is a myth as that tax was abolished in 1851 (long before most Glasgow tenements were built) , the false sash windows are actually an architectural device to give the building a more balanced appearance where there is no need for additional glazing.

The "window tax" thing is a myth as that tax was abolished in 1851 (long before most Glasgow tenements were built) , the false sash windows are actually an architectural device to give the building a more balanced appearance where there is no need for additional glazing.

Indeed, they are situated where it would be difficult to place windows - check out where the chimney stack is.

It is Byres Road - take a look again at the small detail and building on the right - it is 100% without doubt the Curlers Tavern.

At the top left of the photograph stood a garage, which was demolished to make way for the new houses and Massey Lipton's below - now Somerfield.

100% correct. The garage was Wylie Locheads (if memory serves me well). It closed in the 1960s (I remember my mum getting petrol in there) and was demolished to be replaced by the supermarket and flats that we know today. That supermarket opened around 1970 (they poached the stockman from Woolies to run their stock room).

Great stuff, AlanM. Or should that be SherlockH?

I was a bit dubious about it being the same site, as I thought tenements were 19th century. But if you scroll to the right, you can see the same garage, where the supermarket is today. So, the MacKinlay's electrical/plumbing shop is where the Royal Bank of Scotland is now.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Both Ruthven St. and Roxburgh St. were built around 1890.