Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Local Interest

Very interesting! Although, sadly, some of the links are broken.

Message from the site owner:

Hi there, HH.

Any chance you could do me a favour? I notice this thread and was wanting to let those people concerned know that my site will be updated in the coming months, but the Glasgow West End site isn't allowing me to register on its forum.

Could you possibly send a reply to this thread with a note that it should be updated soon?

Thanks so much

Tim

HH on the second and third pictures down, is that a walkway only or is it for driving on as well? (Regular driving, not Onny driving.) :D

Guest onyirtodd

HH on the second and third pictures down, is that a walkway only or is it for driving on as well? (Regular driving, not Onny driving.) :D

Just a walkway, even for a Jeep.

Guest onyirtodd

Its a pedestrian walkway (i.e. no cars).

We used to run along there when I was at school .... the dreaded "Kelvin Run".

Glasgow Academy?

Its a pedestrian walkway (i.e. no cars).

We used to run along there when I was at school .... the dreaded "Kelvin Run".

Why was it 'dreaded', TOG?

:?:

Why was it 'dreaded', TOG?

:?:

Because we all hated it. It was an alternative to playing rugby and was deliberately designed to be worse than rugby because rugby was always important at Glasgow Academy.

I played rugby from age 9 with the exception of one year when I wanted to do something different. That year was enough and I happily went back to rugby ending up in the 2nd XV.

The Kelvin Run was quite a long run. Leaving from the Academy you would go up Belmont St., down the hill (Striven Gardens?) and all the way to the end of the path and then back.

I was fit but my fitness was designed for the start stop of rugby and football and not a steady run.

In the last few years I have actually started running in order to keep fit as I'm not playing competitive sport anymore. But when I was 15 it was the last thhing I wanted to do.

Is that down at bottom of hill just up from Woodlands/ st Georges Road??

Bloody hell thats sacrilege!! Greedy ######. You dont appreciate someting till its gone . It is one of the foremost examples of Victorian Town planning in the world & they want to spoil it to make a few quid, they are mad. :twisted:

Oz, very true, but they never finished the job! They left a gap site where modern developers could fit something in that would be in keeping with the buildings. Check it out on Google Earth if you've got it and you'll see what I mean.

yep Yonza I know exactly where it is & what you mean. My office window looked out over the site.

The whole area is an intact precinct ,apart from tha abomination of an office block in Park Circus Place. It is so prominent the way it is positioned on top of the hill it should have had a preservation order slapped on it years ago.

In late 60s National Trust tried to control Glasgow Corporations excesses there such as installing parking meters. We couldnt do anything about the street lighting :(

My boss was on board of the National Trust & he fought very hard for the preservation of the area & for the rehabilitation of facades & balustrading throughout the area.

It seems a shame to spoil it by the erection of non period buildings.