Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Tom"ar"To

Excessive pay

I'm not sure if you agree but I think that Avril Palmer-Banuack shouldn't get a £29 million bonus simply because of the share price for 'we buy any car, recently soared.

I think that she should turn the payment down because she is already paid at least £12 million per year and that is huge so why should she get a £29 million bonus?

I wonder how the Scottish public feel about this?

Ms. Palmer actually defended the bonus and was quoted saying ''anyone who says they don't want money is talking bollocks.'

She followed it up by saying '' We all want to earn money for our family.''

The difference is she didn't ''earn'' the £29 million bonus and the average hardworking person with a family to support would never be able to earn £12 million during their career let alone be rewarded with a £29 million bonus because shares in the business they work for went up.

Isn't this plain greed and an extreme example of selfish capitalism?  

Don't know the details and sorry just noticing this, TomarTo, but agree £12 million a year sounds excessive never mind the massive bonus. 
I had a look. Outrageous. 

13 hours ago, Pat said:

Don't know the details and sorry just noticing this, TomarTo, but agree £12 million a year sounds excessive never mind the massive bonus. 
I had a look. Outrageous. 

I agree with you, Pat,

it is indeed ''outrageous'' and I wonder why the Scottish public put up with such a thing?

I wonder how Nicola Sturgeon feels about it?

Given that Nicola Sturgeon hasn't taken pay increase since 2009 or thereabouts and puts the difference back into Scottish Goverment coffers, I don't think she's into huge pay for the bosses.

the obscenity of executive pay is something we have all let happen. Most of these companies are listed, they have shareholders, the shareholders approve these payments. No doubt the the wages for the workers who actually deliver the value will be hammered down

I'm not a shareholder in anything that I know of.  But wouldn't vote for these big pays for bosses.  Remember all the banks that were bailed out and most of the reprobates would have walked straight back into high paying jobs.  Think they got the jail in Iceland.

I see the Persimmon CEO gave himself a £75 million bonus.

What was it Karl Marx said ..........'surplus value is equal to the new value created by workers in excess of their own labor-cost, which is appropriated by the capitalist as profit when products are sold'.