Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Pat

Aretha Franklin dies aged 76

What a huge influence and amazing entertainer. R.I.P. Aretha

Think she had family support, samc. What a remarkable performer and played important role in civil rights movement.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:46 PM, Pat said:

Think she had family support, samc. What a remarkable performer and played important role in civil rights movement.

I agree with you, Pat,

Aretha was indeed a remarkable performer in spite of the tough start to her childhood.

I don't know if you agree with me Pat but I sometimes think that a tough start to our lives can sometimes be a mixed blessing in that the person can draw on their experience and put it into their songs and some of them go onto becoming classics.

In fact, I think that some of the best songs are based on reality rather than the standard boy meets girl why are often easy to write and don't really move and inspire the people that listen to them.

Have you listened to John Lennon's ''nobody told me?'' the lyrics in that song are clearly drawn from reality and I really like it.

I think inspiration can be found from many sources, Tom"ar"To but can certainly be informed by experience.  I must check out that Lennon song.