Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Just heard re England/Wales thinking of 'encouraging' people to be more appreciative of water. Don't think Scotland has a problem in that respect but, having lived in a country where water is more valued than in the UK,  I have always been appalled by the cavalier attitude people have towards its use. In Greece everyone has a water meter. You pay for what you use. That makes you think more than twice about how you use water.  I had a meter in my flat before I left England. I paid less than the standing charge... Is it not unfair that a household with one person pays the same water rate as a house-hold with 5 or even more?

water charges cover more than personal usage, it covers the entire water supply and sewage infrastructure.

Its also extraordinarily cheap in Scotland thanks to it remaining in public ownership

Sorry, just noticed this because it was posted in Admin section at top of discussion forum.  I don't think we pay much attention to water usage in Scotland because, as Samscafeamerica says, it's cheap.  Also we have a lot of rain so not been subject to hose pipe bans and so forth. 

Maryspetses, good point re cost being applied to household rather than actual amount used. 

I remember when we were young my mum talking about 'good water' – we re-used the 'good water', for example, soapy water from washing machine or deep sink would go into bucket to wash the close or kitchen floor.