Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Just read a newspaper article re the banning of the book ‘To Kill a Mocking Bird.’* This is PC gone mad. If we ‘destroy’ art and literature of the past because it is being judged, out of context, to be non-PC are we not destroying/distorting history? Are we not destroying a very obvious example for the young of ‘how things used to be’?  Read my full account of this book on Patsguide.

*The Washington Post, 17/10/17

This is an interesting post, Mary.

I've never read ' To Kill a Mockingbird' and I have no intention to either.

But that has nothing to do with my racial ethnicity and the fact that the book deals with the reality of racism in America's deep south.

But my thoughts on it being banned are two-fold.

1.The people responsible for the ban mean well and are just thinking about the tender feelings of the young children that may be affected if they read it.

2.This is as you wrote ' pc gone mad'.

It's a great book. I loved it. Think it's a pity if youngsters can't read it and discuss the issues arising. Hope it doesn't spred any further than Biloxi, Missouri.
'The public school district in Biloxi, Miss., did not specify which words, exactly, in “To Kill a Mockingbird” are so objectionable that the book was yanked from an eighth-grade reading list last week, 57 years after it published.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/10/15/the-ironic-enduring-legacy-of-banning-to-kill-a-mockingbird-for-racist-language/?utm_term=.050383374e08

The book is a gem and addresses a period in US history that I can understand, some Americans are uncomfortable with the memory. But given the rise of white extremism aided and abetted by a moronic president, now is not the time to be banning such books. 

I haven't read the actual book

but having heard about its content perhaps it would help young people to reject racism and understand how it divides people and stops people from learning to appreciate diversity and see everyone as equals.

23 hours ago, Pat said:

It's a great book. I loved it. Think it's a pity if youngsters can't read it and discuss the issues arising. Hope it doesn't spred any further than Biloxi, Missouri.
'The public school district in Biloxi, Miss., did not specify which words, exactly, in “To Kill a Mockingbird” are so objectionable that the book was yanked from an eighth-grade reading list last week, 57 years after it published.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/10/15/the-ironic-enduring-legacy-of-banning-to-kill-a-mockingbird-for-racist-language/?utm_term=.050383374e08

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it, Pat.

May I ask what made it enjoyable to you?

I can recall watching 'roots' when it was broadcast back in the 70s.

The part where he is being whipped mercilessly moved me to tears and I had to leave the room because it upset me so much and yet I was a wee boy at the time.

What I enjoyed were the characters – Scout and Atticus –  and the quality of the writing. It also captures a particular time and throws up the issue of race.

The main objection was the use of the 'n' word. Remove that and you lose the thrust of a great part of the book. Most sane people look at books of that era as being written in  the context of the time. 

I'm thinking of changing my name to Meldrew. So many things are annoying me these days. I am in no way denigrating those women (or men) who have been the subject of harrassment in any respect but there is a continuum surely.  A crossing of a line which seems to be very moveable.

Just one example, my knee was touched and veiled sexual advances were made to me by a driving instructor - 40 years ago. I could give a long list of similar 'sexual advances' - what some people are now claimimg as sexual harrassment. I dealt with it as I thought appropriate...

Should I now claim that the driving instructor should be named and shamed. Well, he certainly isn't famous and probably isn't rich so I don't think I'll bother. In any case I'd forgotten it till the recent cases. Perhaps I'd repressed it! That is rhetorical...

I think it all depends on the context and the people involved. A lot of the discussion seems to me to be about the abuse of power and that's not acceptable.  I also don't like the idea that people with a genuine, and possibly very upsetting complaint, cannot complain through approporiate channels.  If you are a young person employed by a politician and they abuse their power, whether through actions they may feel are amusing if not entirely innocent, or something much more serious – you can't really complain to the boss. 

I think there will be false claims and jumping on the bandwagon but if  had to veer towards a choice, paarticularly in places such as parliament then I'd veer for zero tolerance. 

I also don't think you can have it both ways. Re; the Julia Hartley Brewer knee touching incident by Michael Fallon, which he has admitted to, and for which he apologised - on the one hand she says it was amusing but adds had he done it again she would have punched him.  Either she thinks it's right or wrong.  I have the feeling that most mothers would be very angry if their daughter was being subjected to knee touching by an older man in a position of power. 

I don't think it's entirely outwith the realms of reason to believe that Theresa May has been complicit in covering up various scandals because what is important to her is not behaving in a morally correct way but holding onto her power.  Power is the main culprit in all fo this. 

I think one of the most appalling practices to emerge from this was when someone complained about an MP, the whips used that complaint to keep the MP in line with regard to supporting the party

18 hours ago, samscafeamericain said:

I think one of the most appalling practices to emerge from this was when someone complained about an MP, the whips used that complaint to keep the MP in line with regard to supporting the party

Utterly amoral, samsc. Using deplorable behaviour to feed into corruption and a further aspect of abuse of power.  Prefer to blackmail rather than deal with complaints. http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/may-to-meet-party-leaders-to-agree-plans-to-tackle-westminster-harassment-11364225427574