Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Canada

Thanks, That's me home again. The weather was hot, hot, hot. In fact far too hot for me. 41 with humidex yesterday.  Toronto is a fabulous city and Oakville a very attractive town.

Everyone I met really liked him. One thing I have always found in Canada is how migration is viewed as so positive. I mostly mix with migrants when I sm there, Scots, Irish, Engalnd, American and Italian.  

I don't know any of them. This was my favourite story on Canadian news during my trip. 

Very chilly in Canada right now with temperatures in Toronto dropping to -23.  Brrrrr.

The Fall:- I wrote a little piece about Fall and our local, weekly paper printed it. I doubt the paper (Independent News) has a circulation of four thousand and it prints only local happenings, not provincial, national or world events. A lady sent e-mail to me, said there was no doubt in her mind that my favourite season had to be the Fall and that I wouldn't argue with. No idea where Rory is going to visit but one of the places worth visiting in the Fall is Point Pelee National Park, the birthplace of thousands on Monarch butterflies. They arrive from Mexico in the spring lay their eggs or whatever which turn into caterpillers. Point Pelee is rich in milkweed and that is what the Monarchs feast on. They leave us in the Fall and head south, destination for most is Mexico and their first hurdle is Lake Erie.....my understanding is that their life cycle is one year and they make a one way trip either to Mexico or Point Pelee.

Another thing about fall is that the month of October is the busiest month for tourists visiting Niagara Falls and that bit of info came from a man who does sightseeing tours for a living; he also told me that the tourists in October are eighty to ninety percent Chinese......and Fall is the start of hockey.

Well done, Tam. Never heard of the butterflies. I've often been to Canada in The Fall. My favourite time as can still get lovely warm days but not the awful humidity that you find in the summer. I was there last Fall.