Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Scotland voted most beautiful country

The rough guide readers sure are smart. Quite remarkable considering we are such a small country but after visiting the Isle of Harris and Lewis, I would have to agree with them. The whole drive up via Loch Lomond and then on through Glen Coe is remarkable and the A9 from Ullapool on the road back also has some striking scenery. The odd castle here and there does no harm either.

another harris bearch.jpg

eilean donan castle.jpg

rodel.jpg

colour of water.jpg

I have the link, will send to a few people, not all of them English, ah few for sure.

surprised that the view from the top of Kinnoull Hill which takes in the Tay was not included...

Oh dear... at the risk of being lynched might one beg to differ! That's rhetorical but I do expect replies! Scotland is beautiful. I have no argument there. But for me the Irish Free State is the most beautiful, stunning, atmospheric (ad infinitum) place ever. Rightly is it said that God created the world and then he created Ireland for himself. Hence - God's own country...

Mary, I've actually seen far more of Ireland than I have of Scotland. Think I've been in just about every county. I agree that there are some beautiful places - the view from my window at my cousin's place in Donegal is gorgeous. However, I've never seen anywhere more beautiful than Harris.

Tam, where are you looking at the photos? The photographs on the post above are mine?

Haven't been to Harris so can't comment. However of all the places I've been to I'll still plump for the SW of  Ireland... However the most atmospheric place, again for me, was the island of Philae. We got the boatman to 'leave us behind' when all the other tourists left. We were there four hpurs before he returned. Fortunately the ghosts were benign.

That sounds like an adventure. Connemara and Joyce country, Galway Town are among my favourite places but I didn't gasp every fine minutes as we drove along he roads. I did enjoy having to hang around to find a friendly boatman to take us to Árainn Mhór Island, which is pretty stunning. We rescued a boat at Mullaghmore in Sligo and took it to the police station. The Gardai said if it was unclaimed in a year and a day that the boat would be ours. I think it may have been one that went astray in the Mountbatten incident.

I think the Scottish Borders is very picturesque, especially around Peebles.  I also love Birnam and Dunkeld. I think we have many more small picturesque towns and villages than you come across in Ireland, where there are some lovely places but also many very drab places.

Pat, I used the link, must be missing something, saw six views, Snowden, Stonehenge etc....

I see. Tom Callanish in Lewis is older than Stonehenge but don't hear much about it.

I love Ireland but its lack of trees takes away from its overall beauty.

Scotland, especially up the west coast and onto some of the islands is breath taking 

A very good route. I love the drive through Glen Coe. and Oban is a great spot for choosing an island to sail to.  Mull and Iona are good choices. Further north Wester Ross is sensational.