Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

General Election to be called

Michael Fallon is fast becoming the best thing about this election, he was utterly humiliated by Krishnan Guru-Murthy on channel 4 news. He read him a quote about the Iraq war contributing to resentment and allowing you to understand why someone might be drawn to terrorism. Fallon, assuming the words are Corbyn's jumps right in, only to be told it's a quote from Boris Johnson.  :D

There are a lot of things that blew Fallon out for me, not least his reluctance to state his position on same sex relationships.

This week it looks like Labour has a dog in the fight.  I changed my mind about Corbyn over his decision to reinstate clause 4.  I truly believe Corbyn is the conscience of Labour but I'm not convinced that he is the engine.  I know I would feel gutted if I voted Lib Dem and the Tories got in.  Every Labour vote counts towards defeating the Tories.  My vote will be one for the party, the future of our young people and certainly not for the likes of Diane Abbot.  And if the Tories do get in... #don't blamemeIvotedLabour.

I like Andrew Neil.  I truly don't know why any politician would go on hs show illprepared.  I think he is very good at tackling the "non-answer" favoured by politicians across the board.  I think he makes them do their job.

I really hope that May has blown it. Utter arrogance producing an uncosted manifesto. The strong and stable mantra appears to have been dropped. Doesn't quite fit with the u-turns. 
Major error going after the elderly. 

Corbyn most definitely outperformed May in the very odd, separate presentations, q and a and then the Paxman interviews. Not looking good for May when the audience laugh at you and not with you.

Hundreds of comments on Twitter from English people wishing they could vote for Nicola Sturgeon. The SNP Manifesto launch was completely stowed and the First Minister on top form. Confident, articulate, informed and very much admired. She's the most capable poitical leader in the UK today by a country mile.

The whole process is fascinating to watch and I wouldn't like to predict...

I watched the SNP manifesto launch.  Great for Scotland but not really relevant for the rest of the UK unless there is a hung parliamentwhen MSPs votes could have a huge impact on non reserved issues. That said, I am not sure that Sturgeon's public condemnation of Corbyn - saying he is not fit to lead and her inflated view of the SNP as being the only effective opposition in Westminster - is condusive to the post election progressive alliance she is seeking. Hard to say whether it is guile or arrogance - either way, it backfired with Miliband and a progressive alliance with Labour may be the only way to get the deals and powers she wants...

The Lib Dems seem to be dead in the water ... 

I did not think Nicola Sturgeon should have been negative about Corbyn. But he usually repeats nonsense you hear from Kezia Dugdale/ It is a fact that Angus Robertson has been stronger in raising issues with the Tories than Corbyn has been quite often. That you gov poll showing seats regarding voting intentions showing that the Tories would not get enough seats indicates a very big drop in support for the Tories.

its important that the tories do not get to play the 'milliband in sturgeon's pocket' nonsense they did in 2015.

Corbyn is now saying he would be happy to consider indyref 2 if that's what Scots want; Kezia looking more and more isolated

...And a very big surge for Labour by the looks of it - but who knows..

Having just watched the debate in Cambridge, personally, I'm tempted to vote for anyone who doesn't shout, point, talk in clichés, trot out stories about relatives who've used the NHS, immigrant communities who are the salt of the earth, punch above their weight and slag each other off exercising the own over inflated sense of self-importance.  Personally, I'd ban politicians from having personal script writers.

For me it's got to be Corbyn - he may not be the most competent but he certainly comes across as just being the most decent.   Even Woods was sounding a wee bit bitchy ...

Not hearing much about Dugdale down here but their stratagies don't seem very joined up?

Corbyn has set a clear line about deals and alliances with other parties, whether that changes after the election results who knows, but he seems to have distanced himself from his own Scottish leader, too?   Miliband didn't do enough to distance himself from the SNP independence agenda and lost a lot of votes in England because of it.  I don't think that was just Tory spin...

I thought Caroline Lucas and Angus Robertson did well on the debate and Corbyn got Rudd a cracker on that signing of the anti-terrorist stuff by May.
What was Amber Rudd doing there? She's got a very dodgy background and apparently her father just died on Monday.  More balanced audiences these days - burst out laughing when she mentioned the Tories' record.

Corbyn is sticking by Dugdale though. I'd love to hear more about the'turbo charged austerity'.  Ditch Trident for starters.

j c on kez.jpg

I thought Caroline Lucas was the shining star from yesterday, her spearing of Rudd on arms deals with Saudi Arabia was a thing of beauty.  According to YouGov gap down to 3%

You really can't fault the Greens and Lucas is incredibly able. Is Roberston the next Scottish FM in waiting, I wonder? 

Apart from the questions on climate change, I thought the questions weren't particularly challenging and allowed the panel to trot out the same well rehearsed responses.  It was all a bit too shouty and sneery for my liking.  

I think May has done herself irreparable damage this week by not appearing:)  The next 7 says are going to be interesting.  I'll happily eat my words about Corbyn being unellectable:D

Many a true word spoken in jest .  :D

Labour has a 17 point lead in London:)   It could all be a bit core bimey if Corbyn gets in but people seem to be saying  give him a chance.  "Brillo"  Neil and Paxman will go into meltdown...  :lol:

No matter what happens now, May is guaranteed her place in history.  All future politics degree courses will feature this hapless campaign by the tories in the section 'how not to run an election campaign'

Oh, how the mighty have fallen - aff their kitten heels.  I think she really did think she was untouchable.   Strong lesson here about hubris.  Politicians beware - you can never predict the way the political wind will change. I think there are a few more destined for a faw.

May struggling to justify the 1% paycap to the nurses in the audiance of last night's debate was piercing.  I am surprised they didn't take it futher and challenge her on the comparitive rise for MPs pay.  ...And the partially sighted woman crying because of the work assessment she had to go through.  The Tories have got is so so wrong on disabiity and given their recent propensity for Uturns they could have pulled back on so many of their policies that have gone hideously wrong.

I don't see how she can come back from this.  We might all be singing the red flag on the 9th ...

I think May did think he was untouchable. Once people start laughing at you – you're in big trouble.

Sad day in London with the attacks. Sad and shocking.

Tut tut, Sam, you know that paper gives you the vapers...  :P

If  Engand, Ireland Scotand and Wales voted Labour the Tories would be dead in the water for ever.  I have my doubts about Corbyn but he is a man of peace the respects democracy - and in this day and age that will do me. 

News from the Green's inner circle was that May had planned to stand down after the election anyway.

I didn't hear about the attack last night and had my phone off.  ...Woke up to lots of texts checking me and mine were ok.  I have a staff member who lives  on the street where the attack took place.  ...Not getting any response this morning - just hope she was away for the weekend.  

Hope the staff member is alright, Harper. 

The political situation in Scotland is more complex. I think Corbyn and Sturgeon are the strongest politicians. Relentlessly attacked on every television interview and in the press and still remain calm, in touch and dignified.  But Corbyn shouldn't listen to Kezia Dugdale. Both she and Davidson obsessed by SNP.

Good feature by G.A. Ponsonby on Davidson and her consisten avoidance of the truth. http://indyref2.scot/ruth-and-lies

Complex yes but Sturgeon has no constitutional authority outside Scotland. ...Rock and a hard place but realistically, it is only the Labour vote that can keep the Tories out. 

...Don't see much of Dugdale - can only juge by the polls.  Given Labour's catastrophic fall I am surprised she has survived as party leader.

Staff member turned up at work this morning, shocked about the events happening on her doorstep but unhurt, thank goodness.