Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

General Election to be called

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It becomes more and more of a joke and any semblance of integrity and sound ideology seems to be going out the window. The Tories in particular are all of a muddle. Stopping at nothing to attract votes they emulate the Ukippers with their anti-migrant policy with numbers which no-one seems to think is remotely achievable.  They have now announced that they will be building thousands of new homes to meet the need for social housing – will still have the right to buy component, which is why the whole thing went haywire in the first place, but whilst trying to attract possible Labour votes – they can't afford to alienate the died in the wool, individual gain only, Tory voters.  

One slight problem is that there is no new money to build all these houses.
They're also not saying how many.
May is such a tease. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-admit-no-new-money-right-to-buy-social-housing-plan-general-election-a7735366.html

May's workers of the world unite and 'sweeping changes' seems to have fallen a bit flat.  You can apply for a year off work to care for a sick relative and you'll get your job back.  That will be unpaid, of course. So someone else is offered a temporary post?  Doesn't really seem to have that wow factor.  The Tories will also make sure you get two weeks off work if your child dies.  Is this really perceived as a vote catcher.  Expect they'll try to sell it on a sound bite and keep quiet on the details.

You still won't have the unions at your back for the main part and you will have no access to finance for tribunals.

Thought you were having a laugh there Harper. Davidson and her rape clause don't look moderate up here and Dugdale is a joke. You feel sorry for the second lassie and despise the first. Davidson is obsessed with the referendum and has one line and that's SNP bad.

I'd love to hear what their attraction is down south maybe they're comparing them to Priti patel or May

Can't see what post you're answering there, CL. I don't think the myth that RD has resurrected the Tory party in Scotland is entirely accurate. She's aligned herself firmly with the Union and sadly Scotland has the complex phenomenon whereby attachment to the Union and one side of the more extreme sectarian section of society has that emotional and symbolic affinity.  I have no respect for Davidson because she has seldom done her homework, always short on the correct facts - on just about any topic you care to mention and she, same as May, is very swift to make a U-turn, if that means gaining votes.   Her support for the rape clause is despicable.

I'm not sure who you mean by 'the second lassie' so no comment on that.

On 17/05/2017 at 11:54 AM, Veronica said:

Thought you were having a laugh there Harper. Davidson and her rape clause don't look moderate up here and Dugdale is a joke. You feel sorry for the second lassie and despise the first. Davidson is obsessed with the referendum and has one line and that's SNP bad.

I'd love to hear what their attraction is down south maybe they're comparing them to Priti patel or May

That was my point, CL - and I'd add a few others, besides.

Davidson, is tethered to May's whip-hand and seems to have lost some of her original integrity - like someone hanging out with the class bully.  Dugdale is tethered to a party that needs putting out of its misery.

Anyone supporting the rape clause should think black burning shame of themselves; it is the most henious social policy and puts women's rights back 100 years, in my view. 

On the positive side, I like to see members of the LGBTQ community in positions of influence across all parties, whether I agree with their politics or not.  I also respect politicians like Leanne Wood, who seems able to put across her vision for Wales without decending into a slagging match. or acting like they are inviting the opposition out for a square go.

The debates are going to be interesting ... #let'sdetoxpolitics:)

I like Leanne Wood as well. A lot of the same approach as Nicola Sturgeon. Both clear and committed and don't just slag off their opponents.  What happened to your post? Scottish Government are a great examof a progressive approach to LGBT.  Kezia Dugdale trying to pull Nicola Sturgeon up on that today. Not a leg to stand on.Damn stupid move. Think May has crapped it regarding the debates.

Speaking personally, I might put Corbyn and Woods in the same category but I wouldn't include Sturgeon. 

Not sure of your drift on the rest.  I have no knowledge of the SNP's record on LGBTQ issues, apart from supporting same sex marraige - and rightly so.  That wasn't really the point I was making.  You haven't posted what Dugdale was raising, so I can't really comment.

I don't think May is crapping herself.  The Tory campaign manager saw how badly this went for Cameron the last time and is not risking a re-run.  People like Lynton Crosby don't run scared, they manipulate to May's advantage - as every campaign manager does.  Don't think any other party's campaign manager is not doing the same thing.

Meanwhile, Corbyn is doing it his way ... https://www.indy100.com/article/jeremy-corbyn-comments-itv-facebook-live-interview-theresa-may-latest-7737146?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100

I'm warming to the man:)

Nicola Sturgeon was the resounding winner of the leaders debate on ITV and its clear to see why Theresa May is running scared.

May's performances during this election have been shambolic and that's with everything stage managed.

Corbyn is doing a great job. 

I watched the debate last night. I thought the three women leaders Leanne Wood, Caroline Lucas and Nicola Sturgeon were all really good. Nicola Sturgeon definitely received the most applause. I wish Theresa May had been there. They would have given her a right showing up. I think Corbyn should have been there.

I think the Greens are a great party of conscience and influence but they are not electable.

Sturgeon's experience in government was very evident but the SNP are immaterial to English voters in a national election, by head of population they are likely to be the voters that secure May's victory - if the polls are to believed.  Sadly, I don't think anyone has got May running scared.  Labour is still the official opposition, although it will be interesting to see how well the Lib Dems do.  Len McClusky predicts Labour might secure about 200 of their 229 seats.  Sadly, a Labour win seems impossible.  A hung parliament would be the next best option.  On the current predictions not even a LibLab pack would stop the Tories:(  Corbyn is doing a great job of making sure May is relected.  More than happy to be proved wrong.

Tm Fallon seems to have a fantasy manifesto that he knows he will never be called on to deliver.  Leanne Woods nearly lost her usual composure - not surprising in the face of being referred to as Natalie more than once by that the disaster that is UKIP.

I can see why people love Corbyn - there isn't really anything to dislike.The question is whether he could run the country. You have to question the judgement of someone who has kept Diane Abbot in the cabinet.

June 9th.  Labour win.  Corbyn takes a well deserved bow a stands down:) 

Stop reading the DM.  You know it upset you:D

Interesting to see the Tories oldest think tank, the Bow Group, so called decry their Death Tax ""These proposals will mean that the majority of property owning citizens could be transferring the bulk of their assets to the government upon death for care they have already paid a lifetime of taxes to receive. It is likely to represent the biggest stealth tax in history"

Uncomfortable for May. https://www.bowgroup.org/news/bow-group-press-release-elderly-care-biggest-stealth-tax-history

I think this policy is particularly misjudged. The voters in Hampshire will be worried that there's no upper cap on what the cost of social care might be – could stand to lose hundreds of thousands.  The less well of in the North have struggled to by their house, maybe valued at £120,000 and could see themselves with only £20,000 to leave to their kids, some of whom will have given up work to care for them.  Then most of them in their lifetimes will have paid plenty of NI.

I think she is so arrogant and confident in a win that she's trying to push through all the stuff in an election as if it come up in the run of things at Westmisnter it would be tossed back by the Lords. 

I don't know that hitting the elderly is the best plan. 

5 hours ago, samscafeamericain said:

You think Theresa May, Jeremy Hunt and Boris can run the country?

Hell will freeze over before I vote Tory but there is no doubt that business backs the Tories and just don't see Corbyn gaining the confidence on managing business or the economy.   I want to vote for a Labour manifesto I can believe in and a PM that can deliver it.  If Corbyn dumped the likes of Diane Abbot and got some good people around in I'd have a bit more faith. 

Actually, my son has convinced me to vote for Corbyn be he believes he is the only one interested in the world we are creating for young people.  Interestingly, I thought he might find the LibDem manifesto more appealing.

On 21/05/2017 at 9:16 PM, Pat said:

Interesting to see the Tories oldest think tank, the Bow Group, so called decry their Death Tax ""These proposals will mean that the majority of property owning citizens could be transferring the bulk of their assets to the government upon death for care they have already paid a lifetime of taxes to receive. It is likely to represent the biggest stealth tax in history"

Uncomfortable for May. https://www.bowgroup.org/news/bow-group-press-release-elderly-care-biggest-stealth-tax-history

I think this policy is particularly misjudged. The voters in Hampshire will be worried that there's no upper cap on what the cost of social care might be – could stand to lose hundreds of thousands.  The less well of in the North have struggled to by their house, maybe valued at £120,000 and could see themselves with only £20,000 to leave to their kids, some of whom will have given up work to care for them.  Then most of them in their lifetimes will have paid plenty of NI.

I think she is so arrogant and confident in a win that she's trying to push through all the stuff in an election as if it come up in the run of things at Westmisnter it would be tossed back by the Lords. 

I don't know that hitting the elderly is the best plan. 

I thought the people with £120k would be left with £100k and the people worth more expensive properties would be left with the same but obviously pay more?  At the moment, if someone goes into a care home and has to sell their property, the take everything to the last £24k. I thought they were raising the threshold to 100k - I'm confused....

Hitting the elderly with winter fuel payment means testing, granted we don't know the level at which the cap will be set and cutting school meals provision for children.  I bet that's brought a few would be Tory voters up sharp.

So she's thought better and we now have another May u-turn. Of course, who knows what will be dredged back up if she gets in.
A first year modern studies pupil could have told her that the dementia tax was a bad idea. And her back benchers but seems she was again playing her cards close to her chest. You begin to question the notion that this woman is in anyway fit to rule the country.  Corbyn could get in. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/22/theresa-may-u-turn-on-dementia-tax-cap-social-care-conservative-manifesto

Corbyn's announcement on abolishing student fees could do it?

I have been waiting for a long time to hear Corbyn say something I can believe in.  In recent weeks he has come out strong and fighting while the Tories unravel.  It has to be vote Labour to keep the Tories out.