Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pat

General Election to be called

126 posts in this topic

Looks like May's trying to consolidate the position of the Tories in England. All set then to tear up human rights and make all the post Brexit rules.

A cynic might suggest the timing with the 30 tories (including MPs) being charged by the CPS is convenient

As a 'swing' voter I'm now even more perplexed about how to use my vote . More often than not I've voted labour (except when I lived in John Prescott's constituency and NOTHING would have persuaded me to vote for him - didn't actually make any difference. Stick a red rosette on a monkey and it would have been elected there!) I have never voted Tory. Don't want to disturb my father's rest. I feel I have to go to vote as people suffered for my entitlement but what to do? I voted to stay in Europe but now believe we are committed to the decision made by the majority. I really don't think we have any credible prospective leader and certainly don't trust any of them...

Certainly agree, samscafe, that the electoral fraud has a lot to do with this election being called now. MPs guilty of fraud and corruption would have to be prosecuted by 8 June.  http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?eid=b35572bc-d2d5-4e3d-a1ea-b86618c913d7

Mary, I think the only valid option for people in Scotland is a vote for SNP or the Greens because basically those are the only two parties committed to doing their best for the people of Scotland. We always voted Labour in our house and sometimes for the great Communist and Independent candidates they had on the local council elections in Clydebank, including Billy Kemp and John Smith.

I hear what you are saying about democracy and being committed to the voice of the majority. However, I think when people have been fed untruths such as there being a migrant crisis and told that the NHS would gain vast investment, then the result of that vote has to be questioned.  It's a sad fact that the Brexiteers themselves cannot achieve the situation the so boasted off – including separation from European Courts.  Any dealings with Europe will be on their terms. Sovereignty is an absolute ruse.  Lynton Crosby and Murdoch are guiding the electorate in the UK with a helping hand from the BBC.  The elite and the establishment are hell bent on holding onto their riches at a grave cost to our young people and the most vulnerable in society.

The Scottish Government is already committed to greater social justice but they have insufficient powers. Including the inability to build our population due to migration policy that does not suit Scotland's needs. It is difficult for the government at Holyrood but despite major constraints they do manage to offset the most vicious of Westminster policy including bedroom tax and now cuts in housing benefit to under 21s.  They are also by far the most successful country in the UK with regard to social care and healthcare provision.

It is also the SNP MPs Alison Thewliss and Mhairi Black who have taken up the cause of the many women affected by the WASPI change in their pensionable age - which plunged many born in the 50s into poverty and upset their entire life plans.

I would have no hesitation whatsoever in voting for SNP and an Independent Scotland.  Our country of 5 million has taken more than a quarter of all those Syrian refugees who have entered the UK and the would have taken more had the Tories not quashed the Dubs amendment.  I am just so glad that I live in a country where we can be proud, if we don't agree with everything, of the actions of our parliament.

If I was in England I would vote for Corbyn. On the basis that I believe he is decent and that the press have led an onslaught on him.

well said Pat,  

I have considered your comments Pat (and Sam's agreement). Neither side in the referendum were honest or gave enough information but how many people tried to go into the implications for themselves. I was concerned at the numbers of people who voted merely on the basis of one issue, without considering the bigger picture, as far as it was known. What distressed me more were the numbers that didn't even bother to turn out and now moan about the result. If you don't vote, you have no right to criticise. I believe voting should be made compulsory as it is in many countries.

I have made my decision re the vote on June 8th. Perversely it isn't the same as the way I will vote in the local election on May 8th.

Just read Corbyn’s promise to make St George’s day a national holiday. Whilst being a life-long ‘moaner’ about the fact that the English have a tendency to ignore their patron saint I do think Corbyn’s promise is a sop and might one pull him up on one part of his statement? April 23rd is the day on which Shakespeare died but, as far as I am aware, there is no definite proof that it was also his birthday. No birth certificate exists but the record of his baptism is April 26th. Trump is castigated and/or ridiculed - quite rightly - for his gaffes so our politicians should check their ‘facts’ too…

‘The game's afoot. Follow your spirit, and upon this charge. CryGod for Harry, England, and Saint George!” on a leash, straining for the moment when you'll be let loose. ... Follow your spirit, and as you charge cry, “God for Harry, England, and Saint George!’

I hardly think that offering four additional public holidays will swing many votes. I just hope that people are put off voting for May with regard to the disgraceful situation where some candidates are actually under scrutiny for serious electoral fraud. The UK government is looking more and more corrupt. And they are completely unaccountable.  And, if they have any decency, considering how the most vulnerable have suffered through Tory policies, which she has added to since she came into office.

One thing I value about SNP MSPs is that they actually respond to you. I can't remember if I've posted this before but I contacted Health Minister Shona Robison via Facebook regarding my friend who really needed to be in the hospice as she was terminally ill.  Unfortunately she had a pretty ineffectual GP.  Shona Robison got back to me within hours with details, names, contacts and advice how to progress this matter. This included getting in touch with Gil Paterson SNP MP for Clydebank. I took all steps advised and when I was on holiday in Canada a week later, I received an email from Gil Paterson letting me know that my friend had now been admitted to the hospice and to get back to him with any further issues.

More recently, Alison Thewliss contacted me to thank me for supporting her WASPI campaign.  Our SNP politicians are real people, who are aware of the electorate. Appreciate them and they are accountable.

I also admire their work ethic. Particularly, Nicola Sturgeon. I have never once seen her waffle. She invariably provides facts and correct information.

Mary, I agree that there was misinformation on both sides both with regard to Brexit and the Scottish Independence Referendum but there are scales.  What is most frightening about Brexit is the complete lack of understanding of how the EU works.  What they have claimed, including sovereignty, which I feel was a cry for support from those who have a deeply ingrained love of their country, was a load of tosh. Post Brexit the UK will remain bound by EU rules in matters of trade.

Basically, to a great extent, I find SNP trustworthy, ethical and accountable. That's good enough for me.

Having been influenced largely by my part Irish background – nationallsm, neither British nor Scottish has ever had a pull for me.  I go more by track record and policies. 

I think voting should be compulsory, too, Mary.

Aren't we all lucky to live where we are fee to voice opinions/discuss views openly without fear of the knock on the door/disappearing without trace!

With apologies to Beatrice Evelyn Hall who wrote the original  - I may not agree with what he/she says but I will defend to the death his/her right to say it. 

Absolutely, Mary.  Although, I admit to wishing we could see less of Ukip on the telly.

You'd never know that SNP were the third largest party and that Ukip had no MPs. If we hadn't seen so much of Nigel Farage there would have been no mythical migrant crisis and nae Brexit. I wouldn't trust the Tories as far as I could throw them and voting for them to stop a Scottish Refrendum doesn't say much about Labour supporters. Looks as though they're in a bit of a pickle as May's advisors keep resigning.

latest poll shows a 6% swing back to labour in England

here's hoping for a hung parliament

That would be great. May on Marr, Peston and Sunday Politics evading questions wholesale. The woman is a disgrace as a PM. Telling people that 'there are complex reasons why people use food banks.' I thought it was because they were too skint to buy food.

Great work campaigning in Scotland to a select audience in a wee hut in the woods somewhere in the back of beyond. She felt very 'strong and stable'. 

swing now 13%, and more people in Scotland are pro-independence

All of this is being achieved in the teeth of the media's pro-tory, anti-independence propaganda 

Anyone watching Victoria Derbyshire this morning would think twice about voting Tory – 300 disabled people per day appealing against Tory cuts to benefits.  Heartbreaking stories and support from House of Lords regarding cuts to bereaved families. Whoever thought that the role of the Lords would more and more be to act as a conscience regarding vile Tory policies.

The more you see of Theresa May the more you wish she wasn't prime minister. What a silly, cynical Tory obsessed woman she is. Quite happy to derail the start of the Brexit negotiations, by being accusatory and insulting towards the EU – guess that's one way of attracting Ukippers to vote Tory.

since the tories started over 50,000 people have had mobility vehicles taken from them

People will have caught on by now I don't access the forum on a regular basis. Mea Culpa. Reading through comments I noticed Pat's comment re UKIP and TV. I don't have TV. I tell people I'm too mean to buy the licence. In fact It's more that I would become an addict so prefer not to be tempted. I digress. I do listen to the radio, Radios 4, 3, 2, 1 in that order. I find I actually pay more attention to what is on offer. I am reminded of the influence radio and television had on the Nixon/Kennedy debate 1960, the first television debate of the two presidential candidates. people who listened on radio thought Nixon was the 'winner'. TV viewers overwhelmingly voted for Kennedy. It  is now generally agreed that Kennedy would never have been elected president without the power that TV had, maybe still does?.

Victoria Derbyshire will be getting on the Tories wick. Today in Camborne Cornwall interviewing homeless people – ten council houses were built last year – 29 thousand on the waiting list.

Yesterday was a sad show. About the average of 1400 errors made each week in maternity wards in England. Heartbreaking listening to a couple speaking about their baby whose life support was turned off after a couple of days – six mistakes had been made within hours leading to this tragedy. 

What an absolute mess the Tories have made of England. Difficult times in Scotland too but SNP have protected us so much despite the massive cuts to their budget. Cuts made in the name of austerity – well that didn't work. The Tories who consistently boast of the economy being in safe hands with them, have managed to double the debt.

Regarding the telly – the spin on the local election results were priceless. What did the BBC have on their website home page – photo of the young male Tories guffawing Westminster style.  Then all the news focus on the Tory surge – no-one would have suspected that SNP got more votes than ever before.

The Scottish Government spends almost £500 million each year protecting Scots from the worst and vile excesses of the tory ridden Westminster

At this stage, I can't bring myself to vote for any of them. My natural home is Labour but I just can't believe in Corbyn and his cronies. Fallon is not convincing, in my opinion and anyone voting Green in a general election shoud have their vote taken off them:p

It's all too hideous and I doubt Corbyn will resign when Labour loses badly.  He is a blessing to the Tories;(

I think it's all become to much of is it May or Corbyn rather than the party. At least we've got the option of SNP.  I have no idea how anyone can vote Tory as their policies are so vile.  And I don't know how anyone can vote May – just wish she was on the telly more on chat shows – caught a bit of her and her man when they were on the One Show on Gogglebox. At least some of those viewers had them rumbled and had the dry boak at 'their love at first sight and Mr May putting the bins out.'  Honestly!

I gave that a miss and gladly so - from what I was hearing about it later.  Disappointing to see the Tories making headway in the local elections but fantastic to see UKIP all but wiped out.

I really like the Labour manifesto but just don't think Corbyn and his team could deliver it, especially if Diane Abbot was tasked with any of it.

Sadly, Labour are still dancing on their own grave. i think the LIb dems will regain seats in this election. It's a sad state of affairs when May looks like like the only viable option for folks in some parts of the U.K. 

The Tories are so utterly inept and the country so unstable just about anyone could do a better job. The problem is that their control of the propaganda machine is so powerful that people don't get to hear it.

Mark Carney points to downgrading of growth by the Bank of England and trade deficit increase from £2.3 billion to £4.9 billion between February and March. Pound down 12% against the dollar, increasing prices and higher import costs. Not at all stable.

Some of the best policies Labour have highlighted are already in place in Scotland. We could show them the ropes.

I think Labour have some excellent politicians – not least of all Barry Gardiner.  

Sad to see the Tories running with their anti-immigration card – and everyone knows the figures they are talking about cannot be achieved. Yet to hear anyone agree that it is possible.

Ruth Davidson will have you holding your sides on the radio. Emma Barnett the interviewer far more clued up than the politician:
https://ayerightradio.wordpress.com/2017/05/12/ruth-davidson-car-crash-interview-radio-five-live/

I think it is all a mess.  I've booked June 9th off work to survey the carnage.  Very sad times for the UK.  It's saying something when Davidson looks quite moderate from this end of the country and Dugdale makes Labour look credible.