Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
maryspetses

Verbal Abuse

I don't have a t.v. so have only heard of/seen clips of t.v shows where the 'entertainment' appears to rely on people being verbally abused in their place of work - illegal, surely - or where people are deliberately placed in confrontational situations where verbal abuse in all its forms is provoked. This sends a clear message to anyone watching that not only is verbal abuse acceptable it's also de rigueur. I have recently had to cope with a situation where such abuse has caused extreme stress. I urge anyone who is the victim of this bullying, or anyone knowing a victim, to step forward and report the perpetrators.

Haven't seen or heard anything about the show, Mary. I've known quite a few workplace bullies. Difficult if the boss cannot be approached to deal with situations. But they should indeed be reported. I've managed to deal with a few myself without reporting but every situation is different.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be about Ruth Davidson – bit of a one track mind here.

In my first job I was bullied and it made every day miserable and I got called in to see my boss because I had a lot of time off. The bullying was investigated and it stopped but the atmosphere was awful and I had to look for another job. The job I got was much better. I do not know the programme is it Jeremy Kyle. I do not watch that but I know there is a lot of shouting and aggression on it. I hate these programmes.

I can't stick them either, rory. Nowadays they remind me of the undignified, illmannered behaviour we see at Westminster so I dislike them even more.  Glad things turned out well for you.

Sorry to be so long in replying. Not long back from Greece and trying to clear backlog of emails /work. I believe a lot of the 'Chef' shows involve bullying as does Jeremy Kyle and the ilk. Also Big Brother type shows but  they do lay themselves open to it. there does seem to be a lot of vulnerable people on that show if the reports are top be believed. As we know from 'whistle-blowers' you may be morally right in reporting 'wrongs' but do risk unofficial black-listing. 'Th’ whole worl’s in a terrible state of chassis'.

Ahh Gordon Ramsay, he is a poor chef with a gimmick (he shouts and bullies).

Even some scary folk on Masterchef. I wouldn't like to have a run in with Monica Galetti.

Just seeing this, samsc. That was unbelievable behaviour by staff at United Airlines.

Usually the ones re; Kitchens where bullying is considered OK and is so considered ok to replicate in real life. I understand there is a great deal of bullying goes on in 'reality' shows such as 'Big Brother.'

On another sort of unacceptable behaviour may I refer to the Orange marches which I see as sectarian provocation. I find  the swagger and arrogance of these, especially when  allowed to march through areas deliberately chosen to provoke a backlash, abhorrent. I have no axe to grind personally other than as a fairly stable (my family may dispute this) and very tolerant member of a  the disparate society in which I live.

I loathe any form of sectarianism and have become increasingly intolerant of any religious dogma - ban one, ban them  all.