Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Young People and Funerals

I attended the funeral of a colleague's daughter who tragically succumbed to cancer at the age of 22; God knows how the parents are getting through each day.

There must have been about 700 people at the funeral (there were circa 100 had to stand outside St Mary's in Hamilton) including probably over 300 young adults, school, university and day to day pals of the young woman who had died.

The service was beautiful, so many talented young people brought their music talents to the funeral which became a celebration of her young life.  What was very interesting was the mobile phones were out, pictures being taken and no doubt shared with others not in attendance.  I must admit i was taken aback initially, but then it dawned on me, this was the environment the deceased had grown up in and would seem very natural to her and her friends. 

I expect they were sharing with friends who could not be there. Like you say it comes naturally to them.

Very sad. All funerals are difficult but when it's an older person it feels like the natural order of things.

Talk of funerals and dying reminds me of the Chinese saying: 'Grandfather dies, father dies, son does. That's good.' What's good about that?' 'That they die in that order.'