Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
maryspetses

Cards on the table

maryspetses    0

Cards on the table

I’m female, English, a Royalist. I’ve lived in Scotland since 2006. My politics vary from election to election although I was reared in a staunch Labour home. I voted ‘No’ in the Scottish Referendum and ‘Remain’ in the UK Referendum. I’m not ashamed of any of the above and am grateful I live in a society where I am not in fear of retribution for declaring this information.
    I also signed the petition against President Trump’s STATE visit to the UK. The invitation was premature to say the least. As a democratically elected leader of his country we expect him to visit other countries but did I miss something?  Did he do something deserving of a State Visit. I don’t think so.
    There are times - very rare - when I would wish for an absolute Monarch who would cry ‘Off with his head!’ However, as that cannot be, I content myself - hardly the correct word - with mine own opinions.
    The Queen is a constitutional monarch and a damned good one. She must have, in her long reign, have performed duties as Queen, on behalf of her people and government,  which must have been anathema to her - such as greeting men who may have been complicit in the deaths of many Britons, including members of her own family.
    She is now required to meet a man whose own words define him without any help from me. I find this distasteful in the extreme. It is said the Trump is, through his aides, actually dictating as to which members of the Royal Family he wants to meet. The ones on the proscribed list must be breathing sighs of relief. I suspect the Founding Fathers are spinning in their graves whist King George chortles quietly in his.
    I’ve read several comments in respect of the President’s mental state and his conduct generally. Some may regard him as a fool but he’s a dangerous one. I especially abhor his attempts to quash the power of the media. Freedom of speech is one of the first privileges to go when a prospective dictator comes to power. History tells us that. Whatever we do we should laugh at him for too long and one sincerely hopes we won’t have to. The expression ‘Give him enough rope and he’ll hang himself’.  
Dum spiro, spero….

(I opened the link and put the text in, Mary)

Cards on the table.doc

Pat    0

I think Trump ran though enough rope in his first week, Mary. What a shocker he is and how silly is Theresa May. Utterly undignified chasing the dollar at any cost. She's an embarrassment.

I'm not a Royalist. Have no ill feelings towards them but they just don't seem relevant to Scotland and they cost a pretty penny.  I do feel sorry for the Queen having to meet Trump.

Might be an idea to set Phillip loose on him, although, possibly he's not on his list of who he wants to meet.

I still feel quite shocked that Trump is the President of the USA.  Seems unbelievable.

Well I am a republican, yes voting, remainer. I find it appalling that we have an unelected head of state, charged with maintaining a sectarian establishment.  I also find it abhorrent that we have the second largest unelected legislature in the world.

Pat    0

I think there are still many people admire and respect the Queen in Scotland. However, the royal set up seems a bit archaic. The Queen, or if was a King, is head of the Church of England, so a whole lot of her subjects ruled out from aspiring to her job.

I don't feel any personal animosity towards the old lady but I really don't like all the pomp and ceremony, which looks swell but takes quite a bit of upkeep.

She should be able to say that she doesn't want to meet Trump. May should never have pulled that one on her, or us.

rory    0

I do not think that the Queen should have to meet Trump. He should not have been invited. The invitation was premature. It will create chaos if he comes and it will be a very costly affair. I do not think it was a good political move as shows Theresa May's desperation. I here he may be at the Conservative Party Conference if his visit coincides.