Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The Baby Box

It's hard to believe but the Scottish Government's introduction of the Baby Box has created mayhem.

Even the beautiful poem by Jackie Kay is getting pelters

Jackie Kay
Welcome Wee One

O ma darlin wee one
At last you are here in the wurld
And wi’ aa your wisdom
Your een bricht as the stars,
You've filled this hoose with licht,
Yer trusty wee haun, your globe o' a heid,
My cherished yin, my hert's ain!

O my darlin wee one
The hale wurld welcomes ye:
The mune glowes; the hearth wairms.
Let your life hae luck, health, charm,
Ye are my bonny blessed bairn,
My small miraculous gift.
I never kent luve like this.

But most unbelievable are the vitriolic, slanderous posts in The Scotsman (obviously they don't do moderating)  under the feature by Jane Bradley http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/jane-bradley-baby-box-doesn-t-need-to-be-issued-for-every-child-1-4328991

Although she mentions it – it would appear that she hasn't quite grasped the concept nor the aim: "These boxes will be handed out to expectant parents by the health service in a bid to encourage expectant mothers to make use of midwifery services, enabling them to have ante natal checks which could pick up dangerous pregnancy related conditions, or problems with the unborn baby."

Jane Bradley wants the baby box targeted to poor mothers, she feels the same about the Scottish Book Trust's distribution of books – she thinks that all middle class mammies buy their weans books.  Oh, well.

She'll be right enough in saying that every mother won't need the box but it is a good idea and based on fairness and I don't know how you would go about targeting. And not all well off mammies will pay the attention they should to ante-natal care. In fact they might be less likely if they're hanging onto their well paid jobs as long as they can.  Thats a beaut of a poem.

Jason Michael nails it:
"When I wrote about the introduction of Finnish baby boxes for this month’s iScot Magazine, writing that there is “no faulting the desire to give all of our children a better start in life,” I was completely unprepared for the backlash the initiative received from Scotland’s unionists when it was rolled out on New Year’s Day. How could a policy designed to benefit newborn babies – addressing the serious problems of infant mortality and childhood poverty – provoke such a vitriolic reaction? While it sickens me to the stomach, part of me – as a social scientist – understands the hostility of Scotland’s comfortable middle-class unionists towards what they perceive to be an underclass and working-class dominated independence movement, I am left confused as to why they would vent their frustration and rage at the most innocent of the innocent in our current social conflict."

https://randompublicjournal.com/2017/01/03/shocking-unionist-reaction-to-baby-boxes/

Kevin McKenna's tongue in cheek feature in The National sums up some of the attitudes:
'

We don’t want to be judgmental about this but research conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants, also known as The Tax-Avoiders’ Club, has shown what can happen when you give handouts to the hoi-polloi willy and occasionally nilly.

These sinister baby boxes are said to contain materials such as a mattress, an all-in-one day suit, a long-sleeved wraparound bodysuit, footed leggings and a fleece jacket with hood. If you’re asking us, this is just a recipe for trouble. This will give these children unreal expectations for their lives ahead.

Some of them might actually get ideas above themselves and develop a taste for having more than one change of clothes a week. If that sort of delusion is carried into adulthood it could lead to regrettable behaviours such as trade unionism and loose talk about the discredited European Convention in Human Rights.

These boxes, which increasingly look like they will simply breed complacency and a dangerous sense of entitlement also include, wait for it: a mattress protector, a pram-suit with hood, a baby book and a natural bath sponge. There’s also a satin-edged cellular blanket. This is simply incorrigible extravagance. Why does it have to be a satin-edged cellular blanket? Do they mean to tell us that people have started to turn their noses up at Crimplene? Who do these people think they are: members of the royal family? Before we know it, they’ll de demanding one hot meal a day; paid employment and hot running water more than once a week.'

http://www.thenational.scot/comment/15000066.Kevin_McKenna__Handouts_to_give_every_child_a_better_start_in_life__This_time_Nicola_Sturgeon_has_gone_too_far/?ref=twtrec

I think it is a good idea but can see that people might think it is a gimick and object to well off families also getting the baby boxes.

costs more to means test and given its to encourage a change in behaviour; SID is no respecter of economic status 

From a personal point of view I would have loved to receive a baby box for my child. I think the idea to link mother's into health care services is really important but it's also sending out a message that each child matters. 

To put the cost into context, that trident missile that was aimed at Africa and nearly took out Florida instead, would have paid for two years of the baby box programme  

15 hours ago, samscafeamericain said:

To put the cost into context, that trident missile that was aimed at Africa and nearly took out Florida instead, would have paid for two years of the baby box programme  

What a complete waste of money. Was anyone sacked for this major mistake?
I started a new thread on the topic

Good job the man in charge is so dependable.