Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
samscafeamericain

BBC Question Time

9 posts in this topic

Suddenly a chink of light on those audiences?

The parlour game of raging at the goggle-box every week as the BBC reeled out another panel of right-wing eejits for Question Time was getting a bit tired. We’d had wall-to-wall Farage and even Nick Griffin; trainloads of right-wing ‘think-tanks’ and ‘pressure groups’ you’d never heard of; programmes dislocated from place, attempts to shut-down speakers talking about Scotland in Scotland; bizarrely imbalanced panels and chairing that seemed to favour the hosts own chummy predilections. And the audiences seemed to be like cross-sections of a world you’d just never been in. Eventually I assumed that this just was the world outside my own bubble and that conspiracy notions about fixing BBCQT audiences were just my own daft lefty paranoia.

But – thanks to an alert reader – it seems that might not be so.

Step forward Alison Fuller Pedley job title ‘Audience Producer at BBC Question Time’, and member of the British Patriotic Front Facebook group. She also promotes ‘Britain First’ online.

The role of the Audience Producer is to select the people who will form the audience, as this ‘Behind the Scenes’ article confirms:

“According to the the Question Time website, the heart of the programme is its audience. “We don’t invite anyone” said Hopkin. “We have a dedicated producer who chooses a representative audience that reflects the demographic length. It is an honestly picked audience.” Every week audience producer Alison Fuller has to select the audience and, depending on the city they are in, this can mean considering more than 4,000 applications. This process involves checking the background of every applicant against their political affiliations, campaign involvements, advertising intentions, and many other factors. As the 150 people she selects are intended to embody the image of their city in the eyes of the programme’s nationwide audience, her job is one of the most important for the programme’s production.”

Her own Twitter account appears to be a muddle of BBCQT stuff and Leave endorsements.

She even invited the English Defence League to join the audience. As the Daily Politik wrote back in September:

“You might ask, ‘what does it matter? She is an Audience Producer. She probably advertises to all sorts of social media groups, from the far right to the far left, trying to attract people to be part of the Question Time audience’. If that were true, I would not be writing this. Fuller Pedley posted the above post on the EDL Demonstration Page and her own Timeline only. She did not advertise audience positions to any other social media groups. Why would a BBC producer be encouraging members of EDL, exclusively, to apply to be in the Question Time audience?”

Perhaps it is simply the cynical realities behind tv production? Invite an audience and pepper it with extremists, it just makes for better telly? Is that what’s going on here?

We’ve heard a lot about fake news in recent days, maybe we have fake audiences too?
Mentorn Media has produced Question Time since 1998. We approached them for a response and will update you if and when we receive one.

Dearie me. If it's her job to achieve this:  'the 150 people she selects are intended to embody the image of their city' – she did a helluva bad job when QT went out from Dundee. There hardly seemed to be a pro-SNP member in this pro Independence stronghold.

I believe the lady in question has also been reprimanded for some very right wing views posted on her social media

Reprimanded but not sacked. She doesn't look suitable for the job of choosing audience members when she allies herself with right wing groups openly. I would not have her working for me and I do not trust her to make up balanced audiences.

She is part of a long tradition of BBC disinformation 

Prof John Robertson has done an excellent job. Pretty rigorous research and his claims backed up. QT apparently outdid itself last night with Nigel Farage and Louise Mensch on the panel. I saw a tweet about the lack of understanding that Trump on the cover of Time wasn't actually an award.

I'm making an exception and watching Question Time tonight because Paul Mason is on it. He can be depended upon to promote fairness and equality in an intelligent manner. 

so, how did you cope Pat?

I believe Farage was mentioned several times even tho' he wasn't on the panel

Lindington made Aaron Banks look like a reasonable human being.  Always like Paul Mason but you what's the point when you have teenage Tories in the audience giving out insults.  The programme really is the pits these days.