Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Welcome to the Third Reich UK

Its is almost criminal how badly prepared and the level of ineptitude being shown by May's Government.

Sadly it not the millionaires in her cabinet that will suffer as a result.

It was interesting to hear the different accounts of the meeting from the attendees .... all in the same room, same meeting but all leaving with different impressions about how helpful it had been.  Wales must be in a right pickle. ...  Not heard much from Corbyn on this recently.

We digressed, obviously.   And now it the Calais thread. 

The thread might have been more aptly titled "Everything that's wrong with the world today - and then some ..."

Or Yemen .... The pictures that have been in the press this week have been so shocking. It was like seeing the pictures from the Biafran war for the first time.

Try and be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi  I've taken the pledge but I might have to make an exception when it comes to politics.

http://www.thepeacepledge.org/

The charities, Unicef, etc seem to have no clout whatsoever.  Just watched reports from Yemen on Victoria Derbyshire – what a world. The cruelty of children starving to death while the NHS is challenged by the problems created by obesity illustrates the lottery of where you happen to be born.  The news channels talk about Syria and Yemen as though the issues just arose yesterday. We're now talking years of hell for people in these countries. There appears to be a reluctance to interfere in Syria because of Russia's involvement and fear of triggering a world war. I don't know what's preventing 'interference' in the Yemen. However, is supplying guns involvement?
These wars are complex but the innocent civilians, for a number of reasons, are not receiving the aid they need. The 'collateral damage' includes children at school and hospitals, patients and doctors.  What is going on?

Back on topic: Now Victoria Derbyshire reporting on the large numbers of Poles returning home. Morally and economically the Government should be stating that post Brexit they can stay in this country.   People living in this country should not be left in this uncertain state.

Yes, Lilly Allen's a big supporter of the underdog. Speaking out about the Uber folk. She gets a helluva lot of flak but with her millions of followers she's in a good position to challenge injustices.  Good to see Gary Linekar's run in with The Sun. Badge of honour if they're against you.

Cv24g0sWcAAwzo-.jpg:large

Oooh, Lily does voluntourism

http://qz.com/665764/instagrams-white-savior-barbie-neatly-captures-whats-wrong-with-voluntourism-in-africa/

I have friends who have just come back from working in the camp in Calais and who work on aid, globally..... unsung, unrecognised, committed  - working to make a difference, day in, day out.  People who will be compassionately engaged long after celebrity visitors in their "doing aid outfits" return home to process their "life changing experience" and according to some reports, cause unintentional damage. 

What has Lily Allen achieved, exactly? - apart from annoying most of the country for apologising on "our" behalf....

No, she has irriated a lot of people who aren't really interested in indulging her celebrity twitter twaddle ... Good on the aid workers, UK and others, that have to accommodate this silly people - and do their job.

Singer Lily Allen said she has had a "glimpse of what it feels like to be discriminated against" after being shunned by a taxi driver.  :rolleyes:

She's a great wee pop star but on this occasion she has made  bit of a twit of herself...

Millions of people marched against the war in Iraq with the Stop the War Coalition.  Lily Allen doesn't speak for these people or "our country."  I am not surprised that she has been given pelters in some quarters - not by "nasty people" but by people who protested then and continue to protest against injustice. 

Brendan Cox talking this morning about his wife Jo on the Andrew Marr show and mentioned Gary Linekar and how he has been 'lampooned' in a 'vitriolic manner' by the extreme right. So looking at it from the other side.

Of course, there is no comparison between those courageous committed volunteers who work on the ground and in the face of the dreadful suffering faced by the refugees.   However, surely the more people who speak out against the haters the better? If they have 60 million followers on social media then that message reaches more people.  I hope they continue to protest against injustice in their high profile manner. 

Lineker and Alan might not draw so many negative comments if they could support the "underdog" and be a bit more circumspect about slagging off the rest of the country.  If I want to be educated about social issues I wouldn't be taking to Twitter to read the views of either of these two.  But I am sure they are very nice people..... :)

Lineker made a comment.  Nothing more.  Allan visited a camp, apologised for the country and had a sob.  Nothing more.  I think they were taken to task by a general public who were offended at being dismissed as a bunch of haters or indifferent.  Who do these people think they are? 

I didn't even know that Allan had visited a camp until I read about it on here. She speaks out regularly on many aspects of social justice and invariably gets attacked. I admire her for speaking up and actually I find twitter and Facebook a fantastic source of information.  I always think it's a good sign if The Sun takes the nip with someone.

If you put yourself in the public eye like that then someone is bound to have a go, especially if they are being included with a right wing view they don't represent. No point getting all hissy about it.  Reports from people working in the camps are very different from the celeb reports but then you would have to be there for a decent length of time to give an accurate impression.  With Lineker, It seems it was a heartfelt response that many people have felt ...