Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

National Book Lovers Day

Today is National Book Lovers Day – the Huff Post on favourite first books:

I was a big Enid Blyton Fan so expect one of my first library books that I picked up myself was a Famous Five or Secret Seven?

What was yours?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/09/book-lovers-day-2014_n_5658267.html

To be honest, I think I saw the George Cukor film version of Little Women that led me to the book when I was about 9.  My "Jo" was always Katherine Hepburn.  Insirational indeed.

Ring of Bright Water was a birthday present when I was about 11.  Between Janet and John  and my first proper book, my book reading was mainly the Bunty, the Beano and DC Thompson... :lol:

My mum had a friend who worked at Collins and she used to bring us big bags of books. We also loved a trip into Clydebank to the baths, the library and the chippie – that was our Saturday routine from when I was about seven. My brothers got the Dandy and the Beano and then later my sister got the Jackie but I was never really into comics.  Feel a bit uncool nowadays with all the Comic Con Fervour.

I'm doing a book swap thing on Facebook and sending a book to a stranger in New York.  Then I get sent books from around the world. Will be interesting to see what arrives.

My older brother used to collect American comics and through him I discovered Peabuts, Casper, Archie, Superman, and Batman and eventually... The Freak Brothers and Fritz the Cat.  My interest in comics didn't last long when I discovered boys in loon pants with Pink Fairies albums.  ;)

Only Superman and Batman mean anything to me. ha ha. I think you could pass yourself at a Comic Con. :-)

I think I am 40 years out of date. Older brothers come in handy when you need a bit of street cred.  ;) 

My memories are of Desperate Dan and Oor Wullie rather than superheroes. All I remember about my older brother's comic capers is that he would go and meet friends to 'changey comics'.

I remeber getting a terrible row for taking the one "good book" in the house for my scraps.  I don't think Yuri Gangarin would have minded. It was that or a thumpin' big medical encylopedia. :lol:

Now scraps are a whole other story.  I liked the long tall angels and the cherubs leaning on the clouds. :)

I'll swap you two glitter flower baskets for one long tall angel. :P

I am trying to remember the scaps that always got shoved to the back of people's books that you couldn't swap for love nor money. :lol:

Jusat checked scaps out on ebay.  Wish I'd hung on to mine now... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S77-DIECUT-VICTORIAN-SCRAPS-ANGELS-ON-CLOUDS-OBLATEN-GLANZBILDER-CHROMOS-/351794988434?hash=item51e89d8592:g:WkUAAOSweXhXmS6C

Ha ha. Memories flooding back. I'm not buying any on ebay. lol   I think the ones I couldn't swop had tomato sauce smudges on them. :)
Now the wee girls seem to like stickers. Not quite the same aesthetic nor building art appreciation.