Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
June

June

I was born in Dunaskin Street, Partick Cross Glasgow in 1950. The family name was Corbett. Never knew it was called the West End. We were in an old tenement no toilets inside unlike the folk in Thurso Street and Dumbarton Road My auntie Bridie Smith lived  in Thurso Street -there and she thought she was posh. My Mother Winifred Welsh was also born in Dunaskin Street, used to be called Newton Street - just behind Partick Cross. My mother married a William Corbett who I never got to meet.   I have happy memories playing in the swing park at the top of the street next to St.Simon's Church.  I went to St. Peter's girl school from 1955 before we moved to Maryhill in 1961.  The street was pulled down and all the community gone.  I have been back but all so different other than the old church.  My mother lost touch with everyone including her brother Michael Welsh who went off to Canada in the early 1920's. He became a Mounty and married a Nurse - My Grandparents came from the West coast of Ireland. Co. Mayo and Rosscommon.  I remember my Granny she was very tall and lived at 12 Dunaskin Street, mad as a brush though - she died when I was six. They were really happy days back there. We made loads of money running messages for folk including to the Bookie at the other end of the street. The street community used to build a great fire for 5th November - It was put out regularly because we were so close to York Hill hospital. Street parties was another delight and all those outfits made out of coloured paper.  Street games too from playing ropes to kick the can. Climbing over the playground gates at night to play on the workie. The best of all was all those lovely old classic cars that parked in our street when anything was on at The Kelvin Hall.  We had fun believe me...... If there is anyone out there who remembers those days, please get in touch.

Hi June, Great to hear from you and very much enjoyed your post and all your happy memories. I can relate to a lot of them, although, I wasn't brought up in Glasgow but in Old Kilpatrick.  I have vivid memories of building the bonfires and then having to protect them from kids in nearby neighbourhoods, who wanted to have a bigger bonfire and would come and pinch the wood, or worse, set it alight.

I also remember having to run to the bookies and put a line on for my uncle – with instructions to be careful no one saw me as betting was illegal then.

The one thing that has thrown me is 'the workie' – what's that?

I can imagine the cars at the Kelvin Hall – we just got the bus up to the Carnival.

Kick the can, One Man Hunt, even street Fitba were all enjoyed before we gave up our streets (and pavements) to the car.

I lived in Thornwood Gardens and we had three great delights for us as kids.  Down the hill towards Crow Road you had Hoods the Ice Cream and Ice Lolly Factory; when big brother got a summer job in there he was my hero :-) Then down the hill towards Thornwood primary, you turned left into the street just as you reached the school and lo and behold was another ice cream manufacturer - this one made smaller batches but it was of that yummy creamy tasting stuff the Criterion Cafe sold.  To top all of this we had an ice cream van man - Mr Ingles - living in our street. When he arrived back avec van at the end of his shift he did a good impersonation of wasps and a jam pot as swarms of kids chased after him, usually getting reduced cost ice cream cones as he looked to empty his drum of ice cream.

Happy Days  

We had super ice cream in Old Kilpatrick made by Queenie and Bertie Lazzarini at The Glen Cafe.  What a treat it was.