Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Panama Papers

Goodness me. I don't think this is really a major surprise to anyone but the repercussions could be very interesting. Are some of our policy makers dabbling in tax evasion or avoidance?

I see some high profile divorcees are asking for a review of their financial settlements after being dumped for new models.  Get in there girls!   It's all a bit stinky and Cameron's denial didn't look at all convincing. 

On 07/04/2016 at 8:25 PM, harper said:

I see some high profile divorcees are asking for a review of their financial settlements after being dumped for new models.  Get in there girls!   It's all a bit stinky and Cameron's denial didn't look at all convincing. 

That's hilarious, harper. There's going to be a lot of busy lawyers.
See there's a big protest in London today calling for his resignation. The pressure is certainly on.

It's lovely sitting back watching the Tories  fall - reminds me of the demise of Thatcher:)  Thatcher and Hesteltine, Cameron and Johnson.  You have to admit, that when they do their own, it's like a stiletto straight through the ribs.  Now, if we could just get rid of Corbyn, I'd be a very happy wummin.  :P

I wish I was so confident, harper.  They've got the Beeb in the palm of their hands. Full of Cameron apologising and saying he should have handled things a bit better but the love of his father knocked him off his stride. Makes you sick.  I think more prssure is needed.

I think he is a dead man walking.  The Tories do everything by sneaky stealth - until the killer blow.  Osbourne is dead in the water and Cameron won't be far behind him, is my hope.  I'd love to know what is going on behind the scenes.  

2 hours ago, harper said:

I think he is a dead man walking.  The Tories do everything by sneaky stealth - until the killer blow.  Osbourne is dead in the water and Cameron won't be far behind him, is my hope.  I'd love to know what is going on behind the scenes.  

I hope you're right, harper. I think the Brexit editors can be seen at work in the headlines today.  They, with the combined wrath of the eletorate, will surely take its toll.
Osborne's tax returns would be worth a look at.  Although, as I read somewhere – 'it's what's not in the returns that really counts.'

I do think it is difficult for people relying on foodbanks to see a PM gifted hundreds of thousands of pounds from unsavoury sources and pick up a cool £5,000 or so a month for renting out his house while he takes up residence at No 10.  I know there's nothing illegal about that but it doesn't site right with austerity.

As much as I hate to say it, there has been no malpractice on Cameron's part.

...Wonders why people object to Cameron's family wealth but tolerate Queenie and her hanger's on. <_<

Now, that doesn't sit right with austerity either... in my opinion.

Tax avoidance is only legal because the same immoral sumbags who use it write the legislation.

Cameron's father's estate was in excess of £10 million, so far less than £3 million has been accounted for

Well, vote for a party that have tax policies you support and get them out - easy peasy.

Not sure why they are singling out one person?  The wealth of the Vatican, Royalty, Google, Amazon - lets be 'avenin' them and how about a few individuals like the Barclay Brothers, Murdoch etc, They all make Cameron's inheritance look like loose change.  

Cameron wouldn't be the first to benefit a parental gifts or inheritance, people do it all the time and not just toffs.

when the vatican makes millions in the uk and then offshores those profits to avoid uk tax I'll have a go

Cameron is the bloody prime minister, he has lectured others on the very issue he has now been caught.  Osborne is up to his neck as well.  These people were elected on a manifesto of tackling tax avoidance and evasion.  These people write laws and are elected on monies provided by big businesses who get rich on those laws.  Its corrupt, it stinks and now the stone has been turned over .....

know nothing about this but, generally speaking the "he's not the only one" doesn't excuse him, or does it ?

Edited by tamd
forgot something

The Tories keep going on about having done more than anyone to tackle tax loopholes. Load of crap. Cameron was actively trying to get the EU not to take steps which would have helped curb abuse.  Of course, it's widespread  and too much wealth held  by some but  Cameron can't do much about the Vatican City though  the same isn't true of the British Virgin Islands. When he gets round to it he should also do a bit of work on London – doing pretty well as a tax haven.

Yes, I heard Stuart Hosie saying the same thing about writing and benefiting from tax policy. too.

Astonished at anyone's astonishment at the lengths people in power will go to protect their wealth.

Astonished that people are astonished when Tories act like.... well, Tories.  

My point was, that there are lots of institutions, organisations and individuals that benefit in the same way, here, and across Europe and beyond, so why pick on this one particular case?

I hope everyone's pension funds are ethically invested.  Wan just doesn't know... well, I do, I've not got one.  

Glad to see you have got a computer now Veronica and not having to reply on the library:)

The UK territories are the biggest culprits with regard to tax avoidance and evasion.  Put our own house in order before indulging in 'whataboutery'

Nah, take them all down.  No cherry picking.  I wonder if Corbyn will be cashing in his ISASs .....:P

Like I said in the opening post, harper, I don't think anyone is astonished. However, it is good to have a light shone on the extent of the practise. Hopefully the pressure will continue.  Cameron must be delighted that his culture minister phoned an online dating site – I'm not sure why that's in the News.

According to David Cameron at PMQT today – that's the UK now a million miles ahead of any other country with regard to clamping down on tax havens.  He assures us that HMRC are right on top of things as well.  So that's that then. It's sad that Cameron is so unbelievably confident – even taking a hand at Corbyn's tax returns which he claims are inaccurate. Jeezo!

I don't think there is a political party that hasn't had it's rouge MPs, even the SNP had a couple who were ousted after allegations of fraud?  Corbyn was finded for sending his tax return in late, other than that, who knows...

Glass houses and all that...  Tackle one, tackle them all.

I'm not really interested in the specific miscreants – it only detracts from the bigger problem and that's what has to be addressed.
Although, I think the rich boys, who obviously have more loot to pay the 'advisors', are more likely to be storing away the lucre.  It's a quagmire of the filthy rich up to their necks in filthy business.  More has probably been achieved in addressing the issue in the past week than in several decades.

just for the record, those snp 'ousted for alleged fraud' have so far all being found by the police to have no case to answer - I appreciate the press don't report that with the same headline glee.

That's why I used the term "alleged".  As we have seen with Cameron, being actually guilty of something doesn't come into it ...