‘This World that We Seem to Inherit’: Readings and Music for Remembrance, University of Glasgow
15 November, 2017 – 6.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
University Glasgow Chapel, G12 8QQ
Come and listen to a selection of First World War writing from Scottish authors and poets in the stunning University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel.
Readers will include include the University of Glasgow’s Alan Riach and Zoe Strachan, alongside David Goldie and David Kinloch of the University of Strathclyde. Lady Deborah Stewartby will read from her grandfather John Buchan’s works. The celebrated author of The Thirty Nine Steps served in the Great War. His brother Alistair died in the Great War at the Battle of Arras. The University’s connection with the First World War Buchan family lives on through the Alistair Buchan Prize which is still awarded for the best poem on a prescribed subject.
In additon to John Buchan, there will be readings from the works of Edwin Morgan, J. Macdougall Hay, Hugh MacDiarmid, Violet Jacob, Marion Angus, Ramsay MacDonald, Joseph Lee and Lewis Grassic Gibbon, from whose classic novel Sunset Song the title of our event This World that We Seem to Inherit is taken.
Music includes short pieces by Ronald Stevenson, Cecil Coles and John Blackwood McEwen.
The venue is the beautiful University Memorial Chapel which was designed by Sir John Burnet and opened in 1929. In addition to being a place of worship and a memorial to the University’s 755 Great War dead, the Chapel is a stunning venue for events.
The event is free but for those who are able to, or wish to contribute, a collection will be made to support the work of Erskine who have been caring for veterans since 1916.
All welcome. Doors open at 6pm.
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Summer Ball Fundraiser Craft Café Govan
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Italian Job GFT
- Class of 1984 | Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Sleepless in Seattle, GFT
- Robert the Bruce, GFT
- Late Night GFT
- Balloon GFT
- Diego Maradona GFT
- The Tennessee Hotshots at Websters Playhouse
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT
- Glasgow Botanic Gardens: 200 Years at West End Festival 2019
- Chicago Websters Theatre
- Scalarama Press/Marketing and Design
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Big Choir Concert at Cottiers