‘This World that We Seem to Inherit’: Readings and Music for Remembrance, University of Glasgow
15 November, 2017 – 6.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
University Glasgow Chapel, G12 8QQ
Come and listen to a selection of First World War writing from Scottish authors and poets in the stunning University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel.
Readers will include include the University of Glasgow’s Alan Riach and Zoe Strachan, alongside David Goldie and David Kinloch of the University of Strathclyde. Lady Deborah Stewartby will read from her grandfather John Buchan’s works. The celebrated author of The Thirty Nine Steps served in the Great War. His brother Alistair died in the Great War at the Battle of Arras. The University’s connection with the First World War Buchan family lives on through the Alistair Buchan Prize which is still awarded for the best poem on a prescribed subject.
In additon to John Buchan, there will be readings from the works of Edwin Morgan, J. Macdougall Hay, Hugh MacDiarmid, Violet Jacob, Marion Angus, Ramsay MacDonald, Joseph Lee and Lewis Grassic Gibbon, from whose classic novel Sunset Song the title of our event This World that We Seem to Inherit is taken.
Music includes short pieces by Ronald Stevenson, Cecil Coles and John Blackwood McEwen.
The venue is the beautiful University Memorial Chapel which was designed by Sir John Burnet and opened in 1929. In addition to being a place of worship and a memorial to the University’s 755 Great War dead, the Chapel is a stunning venue for events.
The event is free but for those who are able to, or wish to contribute, a collection will be made to support the work of Erskine who have been caring for veterans since 1916.
All welcome. Doors open at 6pm.
- Wee Write – Family Days at Aye Write! 3 and 4 March, 2018
- Ten Writers Telling Lies and M. Litt Creative Writing Open Mic, Gilchrist Centre University of Glasgow
- Nature Writing Beyond Landscape – Scottish Writers Centre, Glasgow
- Express Yourself, Women in Poetry at Tell It Slant, Friday 23 February, 2018
- Colin Herd, Poet at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- LGBT History Month, Film Screening and Discussion, STUC
- The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
- Ian Bell New Writing Award, Meet the Judges at Aye Write
- Sonnet Youth at The Drygate, 21 February, 2018
- Aye Write! Denise Mina introduces… Danny Denton & Mick Kitson 18 March, 2018
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations review Pat Byrne
- Sextival: Queer Relationships on Film, CCA
- Aye Write 2018 – Darren McGarvey & Raoul Martinez, Freedom From Poverty
- Eileen Myles and nick-e-melville, OranMor
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- The Darker Side of Fairytales with Kirsty Logan, Dumbarton Library
- Honest Error: Glasgow Poets on Charles Rennie Mackintosh, The Hunterian, University of Glasgow
- Writer David Keenan, Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- AyeWrite! 2018 Ten Writers Telling Lies