The World New Made by Timothy Hyman, Book Launch CCA, Friday 18 November, 2016
‘The World New Made’ constructs a new and convincing scenario for the history of 20th-century painting – Linda Nochlin
Friday lunchtime Glasgow launch of The World New Made: Figurative Painting in the Twentieth Century by Timothy Hyman, published by Thames & Hudson.
Friday 18 November, 2016 at 1 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Figurative painting is due a reappraisal. From the early 1950s to the early 1980s, figurative painters were cast as conservative throwbacks and outdated survivors. In The World New Made, Timothy Hyman argues that figuration never went away; abstraction was just one of the ways by which artists renewed pictorial language
The World New Made is an in-depth exploration of over 130 specific paintings, and accompanying artists’ writings. Focusing on the work of more than fifty painters, Hyman presents a collective ‘Resistance’ of artists who together offer a human-centred alternative to the dominance of the Abstract or the Conceptual in conventional narratives of modern art.
Distilled from many decades of looking and writing, the book guides the reader through the art movements of the last century to show the development of a new kind of figuration, offering a counter-argument to Western formalism, and a foundation for the painters of the 21st century.
Timothy Hyman is an art critic and historian, as well as a painter. He was elected a Royal Academician in 2011 and is an honorary research fellow at University College London.
At this event Timothy Hyman introduces the book, which will be available at a special launch price.
- Edwyn Collins QMU Glasgow
- Pain and Glory, GFT
- A Faithful Man, GFT
- Chic-raq GFT
- Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Propaganda – Indie Club Night, QMU
- Through Black Spruce, GFT
- BlacKkKlansman, GFT
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- G20 Festival GBX Fundraiser
- Matchbox Cineclub Weird Weekend at CCA Glasgow
- Starry Skies, Warren and Heather at Old Hairdressers
- Glasgow Doors Open Day Kelvin Hall 2019
- Gaza GFT
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Clydebuilt Festival Dragon Boat Race
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Walk in James Watt’s Footsteps
- An Evening with Gracey Flair at Helensburgh Library
- East End Free Festival