The World Is Ours, International Migrants Day,The Hidden Gardens, Sunday 18 December, 2016
‘The World Is Ours’
A fireside gathering on International Migrants Day
Sunday 18 December 3-5pm
25 Albert Drive, Glasgow G41 2PE
Celebrating the contribution of migrants across the world & remembering those who have lost their lives making their journey to safety
On International Migrants Day 2016, Scotland’s sanctuary gardens dedicated to peace host a moment of togetherness and exchange in recognition of the struggles of migrants across the world as well as their positive contributions to our society.
Join together for a moment of reflection and togetherness including:
° Planting dedication in remembrance of ‘The Last Gardener of Aleppo’, Abu Ward, led by Syrian Charity Wipe The Tears
° Joyous Choir
° Rising Stars Choir
° Diversity Arts
° Write letters of welcome to refugees with Refuweegee*
° Delicious free hot food and drinks by the Men’s Group
A scented white rose will be added to the unique plant collection of The Hidden Gardens in remembrance of ‘The Last Gardener of Aleppo’, Abu Ward. Abu Ward was killed by a bomb in Aleppo, three weeks after being filmed for a short Channel 4 documentary. Pollokshields-based Syrian charity Wipe The Tears will lead this dedication. This moment will not only remember Abu Ward, but also all those who, like him, have made valuable contributions in their host and home countries.
"Flowers help the world and there is no greater beauty than flowers. Those who see flowers enjoy the beauty of the world created by God. And when you smell them they nourish the heart and the soul. The essence of the world is a flower….The World is Ours."
(The late Abu Ward, 2016).
*Refuweegee will also be on hand to receive donations to their Welcome Pack appeal.
List of essentials at: refuweegee.co.uk/
Free and unticketed. All welcome
Outdoor event. Dress for Scottish Winter.
- Merchant Square Christmas Craft Fair
- Christmas Drive In Movies, The Riverside Museum
- Milngavie Makers Market at Christmas
- Pay What You Decide Christmas Market, The Space
- Christmas at GFT, 3 – 23 December, 2017
- Best Before Bed Merry Movies Citizen M Glasgow
- The Muppet Christmas Carol Screening and Toy Collection for Shelter Scotland, OranMor
- Cameron House Christmas Market, Loch Lomond
- Granny Would Be Proud, I.D. Pop Up Christmas Store, The Lighthouse
- The Children’s Wood Christmas Fair
- Christmas Baby Rave at Cottiers
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Cottiers Black Friday Christmas Ceilidh
- Jack and the Beanstalk, SEC, Gary Tank Commander and The Dolls
- Alice in Weegieland, The Tron
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Celebrate Solstice at North Kelvin Meadow
- Christmas made easy at Eusebi: gifts, hampers, party and pre-prepared food
- The Square Christmas Menu 2017
- The Rio Reunion Party, Glasgow