The Women’s Unit, CCA, Until Sunday 5th June, 2016
The Women’s Unit
Mon 16 May – Sun 5 June 2016
0141 352 4900
The Women’s Unit was the outcome of a year long residency at Glasgow Women’s Library by Mandy McIntosh, influenced by projects like Judy Chicago’s Womanhouse being transplanted to Castlemilk in 1990 by Adele Patrick and others.
With a background in socially engaged practice and community empowerment, via a stint as an artist at the NHS, McIntosh founded The Women’s Unit as a fundamentally feminist freespace for any woman who cares to come along and make art.
The key aim of the Women’s Unit is the creative empowerment of women coupled with the opportunity to speak back to male violence in the public domain, on multiple platforms and strata by describing both the impact of violence and ways women can organise against its effects. Access to art works for women as both a catalyst for personal resistance and as a sometimes non-verbal way to communicate their experiences, which go on to affect and activate other women. The Women’s Unit achieves its aims by identifying women themselves as experts within the context of their lived experience and by accepting the nuance of individual approaches in a non-determined way. With permission to do so, the women’s work is then made public through exhibition, film and publication, so the work is distributed as a political act of visibility. the Women’s Unit strives to provide a space that is accepting of women as they are, to make whatever they like.
For their three weeks presence at CCA, the Women’s Unit will be bringing their practice directly to the gallery space and inviting other women to come work and show with them in-situ, through talks, demos, an evolving exhibition and point of contact for women throughout the city. The Women’s Unit reserves the right to declare certain events and openings/times as women only.
To date, the Women’s Unit has worked in partnership with GOMA, Glasgow Women’s Library, the Southside Film Festival, Platform, The Travelling Gallery, Say Women, WAVES, DAISY, Stalled Spaces, TYCI, GSA FemSoc and others.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Befriending Food Experience Launch
- M Gallery, Winter Exhibition Launch
- The Matrix, The Arches, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- The Stand Comedy Club Christmas Specials 2018
- Karine Polwart, Creative Conversations
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Audio, Christmas 2018
- Family Carol Service, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Innes Watson’s Guitar Colloquium, The Blue Arrow
- Doris, Dolly and the Dressing Room Divas, OranMor
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2018
- Fright Night and A Girl Walk Home Alone at Night, Burnt Church Film Club
- Die Hard GFT
- SQIFF18 A Girl at My Door CCA
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Refuweegee and Music Broth Unsilent Night Fundraiser
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced
- SUSTAIN £200 bursary available for Community Cinema Projects
- Home Alone GFT
- The Wild Pear Tree