West End Wildlife, Hillhead Library, Byres Road, Tuesday 20 June, 2017
(By Hildesvini (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons)
Hillhead Library, 348 Byres Road, G12 8AP
Jim Coyle MBE of Friends of Glasgow’s Local Nature Reserves, illustrates the birds and other wildlife to be found during a typical year in the gardens, parks and open spaces of Glasgow’s west end. He will also explain the importance of habitat creation and management and how simple techniques can attract wildlife to your garden.
Friends of Glasgow West Talks Programme. All talks are fully illustrated. Talks begin at 6.30pm and last 75 minutes. Arrive early to guarantee a seat!
For more info please call 0141 334 6354.
Part of West End Festival
Watch out for highlights at West End Festival 2017
Glasgow Nature Reserves
What is a Local Nature Reserve?
Local Nature Reserves (LNRs) are places that have a natural value in terms of the rarity or special qualities of the wildlife and/or the wildlife habitat that can be found there. For instance one (Commonhead Moss) is a raised bog, a very rare and threatened habitat in Glasgow, whilst others have rare species such as the purple hairstreak butterfly found in woodland habitat at Garscadden Woods and Dawsholm Park LNR’s.
They are also important places in which people can explore, enjoy and learn about nature and its value to Glasgow. Because of this most of them have active involvement from the local community living near them, including schools, students, friends groups and other local interest groups.
All are owned and managed by Glasgow City Council apart from three in the north of the city, which are managed under a lease agreement by Forestry Commission.
- Wee Write – Family Days at Aye Write! 3 and 4 March, 2018
- Ten Writers Telling Lies and M. Litt Creative Writing Open Mic, Gilchrist Centre University of Glasgow
- Nature Writing Beyond Landscape – Scottish Writers Centre, Glasgow
- Express Yourself, Women in Poetry at Tell It Slant, Friday 23 February, 2018
- Colin Herd, Poet at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- LGBT History Month, Film Screening and Discussion, STUC
- The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
- Ian Bell New Writing Award, Meet the Judges at Aye Write
- Sonnet Youth at The Drygate, 21 February, 2018
- Aye Write! Denise Mina introduces… Danny Denton & Mick Kitson 18 March, 2018
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations review Pat Byrne
- Sextival: Queer Relationships on Film, CCA
- Aye Write 2018 – Darren McGarvey & Raoul Martinez, Freedom From Poverty
- Eileen Myles and nick-e-melville, OranMor
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- The Darker Side of Fairytales with Kirsty Logan, Dumbarton Library
- Honest Error: Glasgow Poets on Charles Rennie Mackintosh, The Hunterian, University of Glasgow
- Writer David Keenan, Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- AyeWrite! 2018 Ten Writers Telling Lies