Water as Poetry Inspiration, CCA, 4 July, 2017
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tuesday 4 July, 2017
Water as Poetry Inspiration, with Morelle Smith, Shaping the Water Path, and George Colkitto, The Year of the Loch. Both books published by diehard, 2017.
Morelle Smith and George Colkitto both have new collections of poetry largely inspired by water. In this workshop, we will consider water as an element of poetry.
George Colkitto has based his whole book on one sheet of water, Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch in Ayrshire, which he visited regularly for a year. He will look at the varying moods of water and the environmental impact of water, memories, moods, human behaviour and that of the water birds. Using a single observation point enables him to emphasise both continuity and changes over time, while the water keeps flowing through all.
Morelle Smith uses the idea of Liminal, where land and water meet. Her poems travel with water, we see the effect of ocean and storm, flood and landscape. As she wanders through a world infused with her special poetic vision, the power of water is a constant. Water divides and unites, it is inescapable. Morelle Smith finds water and shores everywhere and assimilates them into her poetic vision.
The poets will talk about their collections and how various poems arose from the theme, and we will then read one poem from each collection in depth, for the presence of water and what it can represent.
There will be a handout referring to some famous poems in which water is central, from the Odyssey onwards. We will have prompts and suggestions for writing poetry from a starting point of water.
This a FREE Event for all
The SWC is a registered Charity, SCO40823. We welcome donations to help us bring future events to you.
- Gavin Sutherland ‘ Swinging Christmas’ at Glasgow City Halls
- Befriending Food Experience Launch
- M Gallery, Winter Exhibition Launch
- The Matrix, The Arches, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- The Stand Comedy Club Christmas Specials 2018
- Karine Polwart, Creative Conversations
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Audio, Christmas 2018
- Family Carol Service, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Innes Watson’s Guitar Colloquium, The Blue Arrow
- Doris, Dolly and the Dressing Room Divas, OranMor
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2018
- Fright Night and A Girl Walk Home Alone at Night, Burnt Church Film Club
- Die Hard GFT
- SQIFF18 A Girl at My Door CCA
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Refuweegee and Music Broth Unsilent Night Fundraiser
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced
- SUSTAIN £200 bursary available for Community Cinema Projects
- Home Alone GFT