Water as Poetry Inspiration, CCA, 4 July, 2017
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tuesday 4 July, 2017
Water as Poetry Inspiration, with Morelle Smith, Shaping the Water Path, and George Colkitto, The Year of the Loch. Both books published by diehard, 2017.
Morelle Smith and George Colkitto both have new collections of poetry largely inspired by water. In this workshop, we will consider water as an element of poetry.
George Colkitto has based his whole book on one sheet of water, Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch in Ayrshire, which he visited regularly for a year. He will look at the varying moods of water and the environmental impact of water, memories, moods, human behaviour and that of the water birds. Using a single observation point enables him to emphasise both continuity and changes over time, while the water keeps flowing through all.
Morelle Smith uses the idea of Liminal, where land and water meet. Her poems travel with water, we see the effect of ocean and storm, flood and landscape. As she wanders through a world infused with her special poetic vision, the power of water is a constant. Water divides and unites, it is inescapable. Morelle Smith finds water and shores everywhere and assimilates them into her poetic vision.
The poets will talk about their collections and how various poems arose from the theme, and we will then read one poem from each collection in depth, for the presence of water and what it can represent.
There will be a handout referring to some famous poems in which water is central, from the Odyssey onwards. We will have prompts and suggestions for writing poetry from a starting point of water.
This a FREE Event for all
The SWC is a registered Charity, SCO40823. We welcome donations to help us bring future events to you.
- Explore Wellspring Writing, Laura T. Fyfe, Scottish Writers
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- Ann-Marie MacDonald in conversation with Louise Welsh, University of Glasgow