Video History Scotland: DVD Memories of Dumbarton 1940 – 1975
Dumbarton (Fort of the Britons), famous for innovation and achievement particularly with regard to engineering and shipbuilding. Examples of this include the Cutty Sark, world famous clipper ship, also the first ocean going ship built of mild steel and the first ship propelled by steam turbine. Just three of the examples of ships built in Dumbarton by William Denny Brothers.
From their private film archives Video History Scotland share with you this rare and unique look back into the places, events and ever changing scenes in and around Dumbarton between the 1940 and 1975.
Scenes and events in this rare DVD
Showing the town’s history and memories, which now exist almost entirely in these
In 1941 air raids destroy 100 houses in Dumbarton including some in Levengrove Terrace, Kirkton Hill, Stirling Road and old St Patricks Primary School.
Fascinating colour scenes of Victory Celebrations in Dumbarton in May 1945 with parades and special events and the High Street full of bunting and crowds celebrating the end of the war.
For football fans – Boghead in 1944 to see the “Sons of the Rock” in action in full colour.
Again at Boghead this time in 1946; Summer Sports and games including highland dancing and a Bonny Baby and Gala Queen competitions in beautiful colour.
Queen Elizabeth visits the town in 1953 to receive the keys to Dumbarton Castle and to open the “new” Strathleven Industrial Estate.
In 1955, new plans being drawn up for the town that result in the start of some major changes in Dumbarton and its familiar streets and buildings.
A major blow is dealt in 1963 as we see colour scenes of Denny’s yard emptying for the very last time with job number 1504 still on the blocks and the Yard, Engine Works and offices lie silent.
Witness the changing face of the town as demolishing and reconstruction begins.
In 1969: the opening of the new Town Centre and the Concorde Leisure Centre.
Tour round Quayside, Westbridge End, Dalreoch, Comely Bank Buildings and more before witnessing the new Park Crescent and the construction and completion of the new Artizan Bridge in 1973.
Take stock of all the redevelopment and changes during this period of change taking in remaining scenes of Garshake, Barnhill, Oxhill, Castlelhill, Westcliffe, Bellsmyre, Knoxland, Dalreoch and landmarks including The Denny Club, Brock Baths and Dumbarton
Whether you live in Dumbarton or have ties to Dumbarton you are sure to find something of interest within these rare nostalgic scenes of this proud town.
Narrated by Mark Gray Running time 66 mins
This section: Best In The West, Travel
- Spirito, Interiors, Cards, Gifts, Crow Road, Broomhill, Glasgow
- Glasgow Shopping: Currie and Quirk Opticians, Byres Road, G12
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- West End Festival 2016: The Moment Keeper, Thistle Gallery, Jackie and Jilly Henderson, 4 – 19 June
- Surf and Turf Exhibition, Thistle Gallery from Saturday April, 23rd 2016.
- Dear Green Place – Exhibition at the Thistle Gallery, Saturday. March 19th– Sunday, April 3rd, 2016
- Bricks 4 Kidz, After school classes St Silas Woodlands
- The Face on the Moon, The Vale, 26 September, 2015.
- Shopping in Glasgow: Vintage Guru Byres Road
- Blair and Sheridan, Gin and Sapphires Event, Saturday 22 August, 2015
- Easter Workshops for Children at Bricks 4 Kidz
- Video History Scotland: DVD Memories of Dumbarton 1940 – 1975
- QM Eye Opticians, Glasgow: specialising in quality eyecare and eyewear
- Bricks 4 Kidz– Children’s Workshops February Half-term 2015
- The Observatory, Nancy Smillie Studio
- Memories of Millport Isle of Cumbrae in the 1920s and 1930s, Video History Scotland
- Clyde Steamer Memories Part 1 DVD Video History Scotland