Valentines Day at GFT, Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Umbrellas of Cherbourg, 14 February, 2017
Bring your valentine and celebrate the most romantic day of the year at Glasgow Film Theatre with two hand-picked classic films!
Breakfast at Tiffany’s (PG)
14 February, 2017 6 p.m.
Audrey Hepburn stars as Holly Golightly in this timeless romantic comedy.
A lonely, struggling writer becomes enchanted with his beautiful and free-spirited neighbour Holly Golightly in this timeless romantic comedy. As the two learn more about one another, they begin to fall in love against a stunning Manhattan backdrop. Adapted from Truman Capote’s gritty novella into a sophisticated comedy, this timeless classic is remembered best for Audrey Hepburn’s luminous performance as Golightly, along with the Oscar-winning ballad ‘Moon River’.
Director Blake Edwards Cast Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Patricia Neal
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (U)
14 February , 2017 8.45 p.m.
Jacques Demy’s kaleidoscopic musical romance helped propel a young Catherine Deneuve to stardom along with helping define the image of French New Wave cinema. Umbrella-store worker Geneviève (Deneuve) has fallen for dashing mechanic Guy, however their romance is harshly interrupted when Guy is drafted to serve in the Algerian War, forcing the two lovers to grow up quickly. Cited by director Damien Chazelle as a defining influence on La La Land, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is held as one of the greatest and most unorthodox musicals of all time.
Director Jacques Demy Cast Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, Anne Vernon
This section: Cinema, Valentine's Day in Glasgow 2017
- The Matrix, The Arches, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2018
- Fright Night and A Girl Walk Home Alone at Night, Burnt Church Film Club
- Die Hard GFT
- SQIFF18 A Girl at My Door CCA
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced
- SUSTAIN £200 bursary available for Community Cinema Projects
- Home Alone GFT
- The Wild Pear Tree
- Mug GFT
- The Old Man and The Gun GFT
- Sorry To Bother You GFT
- Jingle All The Way, GFT
- Support Glasgow Film Theatre
- Critters, Burnt Church Film Club, Glasgow
- Three Identical Strangers GFT
- Spirito, Interiors, Cards, Gifts, Crow Road, Broomhill, Glasgow
- GRAMNet/BEMIS Film Series Talented & Young: We Are Scotland