Valentines Day at GFT, Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Umbrellas of Cherbourg, 14 February, 2017
Bring your valentine and celebrate the most romantic day of the year at Glasgow Film Theatre with two hand-picked classic films!
Breakfast at Tiffany’s (PG)
14 February, 2017 6 p.m.
Audrey Hepburn stars as Holly Golightly in this timeless romantic comedy.
A lonely, struggling writer becomes enchanted with his beautiful and free-spirited neighbour Holly Golightly in this timeless romantic comedy. As the two learn more about one another, they begin to fall in love against a stunning Manhattan backdrop. Adapted from Truman Capote’s gritty novella into a sophisticated comedy, this timeless classic is remembered best for Audrey Hepburn’s luminous performance as Golightly, along with the Oscar-winning ballad ‘Moon River’.
Director Blake Edwards Cast Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Patricia Neal
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (U)
14 February , 2017 8.45 p.m.
Jacques Demy’s kaleidoscopic musical romance helped propel a young Catherine Deneuve to stardom along with helping define the image of French New Wave cinema. Umbrella-store worker Geneviève (Deneuve) has fallen for dashing mechanic Guy, however their romance is harshly interrupted when Guy is drafted to serve in the Algerian War, forcing the two lovers to grow up quickly. Cited by director Damien Chazelle as a defining influence on La La Land, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is held as one of the greatest and most unorthodox musicals of all time.
Director Jacques Demy Cast Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo, Anne Vernon
This section: Cinema, Valentine's Day in Glasgow 2017
- Britain on Film: Welcome to Britain plus Q & A GFT
- Memoir of War GFT
- Anna Magnani: Made in Rome GFT
- The Cure Live at Hydepark – Anniversary 1978 – 2018
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- Love Me or Leave Me, GFT
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- The Captor, GFT
- Robert the Bruce, GFT
- Diego Maradona GFT
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Scalarama Press/Marketing and Design
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival
- The Italian Job GFT
- Class of 1984 | Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Sleepless in Seattle, GFT