Unbuilt Mackintosh, The Hunterian
8 March – 3 June 2018
Unbuilt Mackintosh showcases stunning architectural models based on the unbuilt designs of Scottish architect, designer and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). Demonstrating Mackintosh’s architectural vision, the models have been crafted by current Scottish model makers, with their precise dimensions meticulously drawn from Mackintosh’s drawings and documentation.
The display combines models on loan from Glasgow Mackintosh with items from The Hunterian collection.
Part of Mackintosh 150 – a year-long programme of events to mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
Unbuilt Mackintosh is a 3D tribute to unbuilt designs by the widely celebrated Scottish architect, designer and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). The twelve models exhibited, commissioned by The Hunterian and the Glasgow Mackintosh group, were crafted by current Scottish model makers to bring Mackintosh’s unbuilt projects to life.
Highly influential and internationally recognised, Mackintosh made great contributions to the architectural heritage of his native city with notable structures such as The Glasgow School of Art, Queen’s Cross Church and Scotland Street School.
Yet his thirty years of practice saw the completion of only fourteen buildings.
Concentrating on projects that never went past the drawing board, Unbuilt Mackintosh aims to visually represent his wider contributions to architecture.
Image: Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Design for 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition Buildings Competition: sections and plans for a concert hall, bar, dining room and bridge, 1898.
Hunterian Art Gallery
82 Hillhead Street
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School
- Frostpinni!, The Lighthouse
- Ross Birrell The Transit of Hermes, CCA
- David Mach ‘Against the Tide’ Cass Art, Glasgow
- Ciara Phillips Show Me Your Glow, Glasgow Print Studio, Glasgow International
- Still Moving: Films and Photographs of Ulrike Ottinger, The Hunterian
- Queen Mother Women’s Art Group Exhibition at ProjectAbility
- Unbuilt Mackintosh, The Hunterian
- Iain’s Brushwork Brings Art to Life at Thistle Gallery
- Wastepaper Opera and Papaloose present (i) The Opera, Glasgow
- Art for Sale at Project-Abilty
- Home Grown In Glasgow – a poem for International Women’s Day by Ruby McCann