The Thistle Gallery: Charismatic Catalonian artist Miquel Torner de Semir until 8th November, 2015
56 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
Charismatic Catalonian artist Miquel Torner de Semir has nine of his extraordinary paintings currently in the Thistle Gallery in Park Road but for a limited two week run only until November 8th.
His works are in numerous public collections in Spain including the Museum of the Royal Mint and are highly sought after by art collectors internationally.
Often working in collage he uses musical score, canvas and lace to add structure, texture and depth to his work. Torner de Semir’s work bridges the gap between the old and the new and his influence from Gothic stained glass can clearly be seen. By the use of thick black lines to outline his figures he creates paintings within paintings and his use of truly vivid, neon colours link these windows to the modern world. Influenced by his contemporary Picasso, his passion for the historical, as well as the modern, is ever present.
Internationally renowned he was honoured in 2003 and commissioned to design a postage stamp to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Spanish Constitution.
Gallery owner Carol Dunbar said this week:
‘it’s both a privilege and a pleasure for our Gallery to be exhibiting this prestigious artist’s work in Glasgow. His rich, vivid colourful exhibits are dynamic and dramatic and each work is a statement piece in its own right. And we’re grateful to Tracey McNee Fine Art for facilitating the event.’
Thistle Gallery, 56 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
This section: Art - what's on
Filed under: Art - what's on
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Brushes With War, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Bathing Bells Exhibition, Govanhill Baths
- Young Talent Exhibition, ProjectAbility Glasgow
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow Exhibition, The Mitchell
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Cryptic Sonica in Glasgow 2018 – Portal, Pivot and Visaurihelix
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- HYPERMARKET – ART CAR BOOT, SWG3 2018
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Summer Show 2018, Ardarden Farm Shop
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend