The Thistle Gallery: Charismatic Catalonian artist Miquel Torner de Semir until 8th November, 2015
56 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
Charismatic Catalonian artist Miquel Torner de Semir has nine of his extraordinary paintings currently in the Thistle Gallery in Park Road but for a limited two week run only until November 8th.
His works are in numerous public collections in Spain including the Museum of the Royal Mint and are highly sought after by art collectors internationally.
Often working in collage he uses musical score, canvas and lace to add structure, texture and depth to his work. Torner de Semir’s work bridges the gap between the old and the new and his influence from Gothic stained glass can clearly be seen. By the use of thick black lines to outline his figures he creates paintings within paintings and his use of truly vivid, neon colours link these windows to the modern world. Influenced by his contemporary Picasso, his passion for the historical, as well as the modern, is ever present.
Internationally renowned he was honoured in 2003 and commissioned to design a postage stamp to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Spanish Constitution.
Gallery owner Carol Dunbar said this week:
‘it’s both a privilege and a pleasure for our Gallery to be exhibiting this prestigious artist’s work in Glasgow. His rich, vivid colourful exhibits are dynamic and dramatic and each work is a statement piece in its own right. And we’re grateful to Tracey McNee Fine Art for facilitating the event.’
Thistle Gallery, 56 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
This section: Art - what's on
Filed under: Art - what's on
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School