The Kelpies Maquettes and the G20 Heritage Exhibition, The Kibble Palace, until 25 Jun, 2015.
The Kelpies Maquettes– the little Kelpies sparkled in the sun for the opening of The G20 Heritage Exhibition (Friends of Queen Margaret Drive) as part of the West End Festival. The sculptures, created by Andy Scott at his Maryhill workshop, will be at the Botanic Gardens until 25th June.
The smaller version of Scott’s giant sculptures at The Helix Centre, Falkirk, may not be quite so massive in scale but they are dramatic and striking and look superb sitting at the front of the Kibble Palace.
Rhonda Fraser, chairperson of the Friends of Queen Margaret Drive and a local business woman, and Tam Dean Burn, actor and local activist, who is supporting the group in their drive to fundraise and promote the conservation of this fascinating area of the city, were both in the park for the launch. Michael Dale, Director of the West End Festival was there to offer his encouragement. It was good to see them all and also meet Joe McCulloch, Glasgow Botanic Gardens.
The G20 project has a target of £45,000, with Glasgow City Council providing match funding towards restoration of footpaths, pavement maintenance and other projects, and work has already started in the area with a clear up of Oban Lane.
Treat yourself to a day out at the Botanics and enjoy the beautiful gardens and the Kelpie Maquettes.
Queen Margaret Drive Festival
Also for your diary: Queen Margaret Drive Festival, 21st June.
The street will be closed to traffic so apart from various stalls there will be street play and music from local musicians and bands including Acoustic Butterfly, Jim Byrne, Mother’s Ruin and Patrick Monaghan.
This section: West End Festival 2015
Filed under: West End Festival 2015
- Clydeside Open Art Show – Submission Now Open
- West End Festival’s Electric Gardens 13 November – 6 December, 2015
- West End Festival Closing Concert, Kelvingrove Bandstand Sun 28 June, 2015
- Crime After Dark With Caro Ramsay Oran Mor Tuesday 23 June, 2015
- New Writer Showcase Oran Mor Monday 22 June, 2015
- FORK Summer Gala Saturday 20th June, 2015
- Children’s Events West End Festival 2015
- IAIN FORBES + KING OF BIRDS + CHLOE MARIE, CC Music Shop, Sunday 21 June, 2015
- Street Festival, Queen Margaret Drive, 21 June, 2015
- Raintown at CC Music Shop – West End Festival
- Elaine C Smith and Christina Dunwoodie: Torch Song Divas, Websters Theatre, 19/20 June, 2015
- Sol Summer Season of Classic Cuts at Òran Mór, Until 20th June, 2015
- Vintage Bus Service, West End Festival, 28 June, 2015
- Great day out at Wilton Street Gala, West End Festival, 2015
- Glasgow Mela 25th Anniversary Sunday 14th June, 2015
- Bard in the Botanics: Love’s Labour’s Lost, West End Festival 24 – 27 June, 2015
- West End Science 13 June, 2015
- Read It In A Different Language The Language Hub Children’s Bookshop Sunday 14 June 2015
- Na Neonachain: Alien’s Love Underpants (3-5 yrs) An Lèanag, Saturday 20 June, 2015
- Benefit in aid of Cosgrove Care, 17 June, 2015, The Stand