The Glasgow School of Art Material Culture in Action: Practices of making, collecting and re-enacting Art and Design Mon 7 September — Tue 8 September 2015 CCA
The Glasgow School of Art
Material Culture in Action: Practices of making, collecting and re-enacting Art and Design
Mon 7 September — Tue 8 September 2015
10am, £119.40 (£49.40) + 60p booking fee, Cinema, Theatre & Clubroom
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Please note: tickets allow entry to both days of the conference – events on Mon 7 September take place at GSA, while events on Tue 8 September take place in CCA and GSA.
With its rich cross-disciplinary programme and contributions from international speakers, this GSA conference explores contemporary practices of making, collecting, and re-enacting art and design.
What would a study of the material life of art schools and studios reveal? How can archives and museums be understood as spaces of recollection as well as creation? To what extent have material culture theories critically informed practices of art and design, and can art and design practices reciprocally contribute to the field of material culture studies?
This two-day research event brings together scholars, artists, designers, architects, curators, librarians and archivists. In their research and individual practices they all engage with such pressing and entwined issues as the meaning of materiality in the age of digitisation; the role of the art school and art school teaching in the 21st century; the affective, political and multi-sensorial powers of things; making as means of remembrance and resistance.
Keynotes will be delivered by Prof Esther Leslie (University of Birkbeck), Prof Guy Julier (University of Brighton / V&A Museum), Prof Tim Ingold (University of Aberdeen) and Ian Helliwell (artist / film-maker).
Conference events include film screenings, an exhibition on the Glasgow School of Art in the 1970s, as well as several workshops and sessions in the Library and in the GSA Case-Room. The conference takes place across several venues in and around Garnethill. The Glasgow School of Art will be our venue for Day 1 (Sept 7). Day 2 (Sept 8) events will take place across GSA and the CCA.
See website: https://materialculturegsa.wordpress.com/
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Explore Wellspring Writing, Laura T. Fyfe, Scottish Writers
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- Ann-Marie MacDonald in conversation with Louise Welsh, University of Glasgow