The Glasgow Mela 2019
Kelvingrove Park Noon till Late. (12 pm – 10 pm)
This year the new producers of Glasgow Mela for 2019, Scottish-Asian Creative Artists’ Network, are taking the event in a new direction – exploring the Scottish-Asian and British-Asian experience, and transforming the Mela into a platform for activism through arts and culture, to nurture and grow local artists.
This event is completely free and suitable for the whole family.
This year’s programme focuses on South Indian language and songs featuring everything from anti-caste protest songs from local noise-rocker Kapil Seshasayee to Scotland’s very first Sufi Qawali group, to Deepa Nayar Rasiya, who has been described as a “pioneering and innovative composer with a deeply soul-stirring vocal style”.
For the first time, Glasgow Mela will also host an artist-in-residence, Jamila Brown. Jamila will be at Kelvingrove Park all day, inviting all Mela-goers to help her make a new piece of work. In this year of change, you’ll also find comedians, poets and a ceilidh at Kelvingrove Park on June 23rd.
As well as the performances across the three stages, there will be a huge selection of world food, clothing and goods stalls and entertainment as Glasgow celebrates its rich cultural heritage and all its communities.
Find out who is performing and plan your day: https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/arts-music-and-cultural-venues/glasgow-mela
This section: Community event, Dance, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- CineRoma at Govanhill International Festival
- Young at Heart Dance for Over 50s
- Cuba Libre, Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Songs of Love and Freedom, Kelvingrove Bandstand
- Celtic Music Radio House Concert Fundraiser for Tom Fairnie
- Lids Open Day, Kelvingrove Bandstand
- Nae Pasaran – Clyde Community Hall
- Volunteer Action Day, North Kelvin Meadow
- Websters Big Summer Event
- 4th of July Maker’s Mark Hoedown at Websters
- Record Fair at Nice n Sleazy
- Remembrance Day River Clyde
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Queen Margaret Drive Festival, West End Festival 2019
- Kirklee Allotments Open Day West End Festival 2019
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- The Glasgow Mela 2019
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow