The Deep Sea Light at Sound Thought 2016 CCA Friday 1 April, 2016.
The Deep Sea Light at Sound Thought 2016
CCA, Cinema 350 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3JD
Friday 1st April, 2016
THE DEEP SEA LIGHT will be featured at the Sound Thought festival on Friday 1st April at 15:30 in the CCA Cinema, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow
Your first chance for an underwater encounter with Nick takes place at Glasgow University’s Sound Thought Festival at the city’s CCA on the 1st April 2016.
Nick has been working for the past six months on the development stages of an innovative sound project – The Deep Sea Light – harnessing his passions for convolution reverb and found sound from the natural and human environments to create a sound world that aims to reconnect us with the underwater marine environment.
The first fruits (de mer) are four ‘sound programmes’ celebrating different sea creatures from around the Scottish coastline – Harbour Seal, Sea Otter, Porpoise, and Minke Whale. The whale will be making her debut at ‘Sound Thought’ with a soundscape that includes underwater sounds from around the West Highland coastline, specially recorded by Nick, using a hydrophonic microphone array aboard his RIB, ‘The Ginger Ninja’.
The work – presented in 5:1 Surround Sound features guest vocals from Mary Ann Kennedy and of course the Minke herself. Words include a specially commissioned Gaelic version of the traditional sea shanty ‘The Whale’ by Kenna Campbell, and Ardnamurchan Lighthouse looms large through the convolved reverb placing us right in the centre of the tower.
The Deep Sea Light is part-funded by Creative Scotland and has been developed in consultation with the Scottish Association for Marine Science, the Northern Lighthouse Board and the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse Trust.
Free Book online
- Film Listings at GFT, March 2018
- Film Screening – Moonlight and Carol double feature, LGBT History Month QMU
- The Shape of Water, GFT
- Call Me By Your Name, GFT
- Soundtracking, Edith Bowman with Lynne Ramsay, GFT
- Phantom Thread GFT
- The Florida Project, GFT
- Sweet Country, Cineworld Glasgow
- Glasgow Film Festival 2018 at CCA
- The Breadwinner, GFT
- Working Girl, GFF 2018
- Glasgow Film Festival 2018 – Closing Gala: Felipe Bustos Sierra’s Nae Pasaran
- FrightFest, Glasgow Film Festival: challenge to aspiring Scottish filmmakers
- Glasgow Film Festival 2018 – Catch Some Amazing Guests
- LGBT History Month, Film Screening and Discussion, STUC
- The Ballad of Lefty Brown, GFT
- 4 at GFT
- GFF 2018 Kinning Park Carnival: Bride and Prejudice, Kinning Park Complex
- Young Films Foundation, CCA
- Loveless, GFT