The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
A poem about love:
THE CARRBRIDGE ROSE
The Packhorse Bridge arches its back
like a grey stone rainbow
over the hard flowing river
hurtling past banks of snowy ice.
We explore chatting
holding hands ever so slight
as if young love though we are not.
Our pasts ensure we tread warily.
Not knowing where these steps may lead
we are in no rush to be fools … again.
I notice a winter rosebush
draped in a shroud of sparkling frost.
In amongst its withered blooms
a single red rose.
You notice its perfect petals closed
as if frozen alive
as if sleeping
as if waiting
as if a heart is still beating.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Love Poems, Stories and Tales from Glasgow writers, Valentine's Day Glasgow 2016, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Writing
- Aye Write 2019: Alan Brown
- Aye Write 2019 Henry Bell and Cat Boyd
- Womxns Networking Brunch
- Evening of discussion: poetry and film with Sawsan Al-Areeqe
- ¡Viva! Spanish & Latin American Film Festival 2019 Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sauvage, GFT
- Minding the Gap, GFT
- Tartan Features Beyond Zero, CCA
- Us, Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Great Escape with Dan Snow GFT
- Femspectives Film Festival Glasgow
- Out of Blue, GFT
- Wild Rose, GFT
- Laurel and Hardy, Best Before Bed Cinema
- The White Crow GFT
- Yikes Film Club – Brass Eye Tapes
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT
- Aye Write: The Writing of Janet Paisley with Dr Linda Jackson, University of Strathclyde
- Aye Write 2019 Tom & James Morton
- Aye Write 2019 Gaelic Reading and Singing (Family Event)