The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
A poem about love:
THE CARRBRIDGE ROSE
The Packhorse Bridge arches its back
like a grey stone rainbow
over the hard flowing river
hurtling past banks of snowy ice.
We explore chatting
holding hands ever so slight
as if young love though we are not.
Our pasts ensure we tread warily.
Not knowing where these steps may lead
we are in no rush to be fools … again.
I notice a winter rosebush
draped in a shroud of sparkling frost.
In amongst its withered blooms
a single red rose.
You notice its perfect petals closed
as if frozen alive
as if sleeping
as if waiting
as if a heart is still beating.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Love Poems, Stories and Tales from Glasgow writers, Valentine's Day Glasgow 2016, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Writing
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- ‘thi wurd’ #3 at The Old Hairdressers, Glasgow
- Jane Harris Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley
- The Scottish Witchfinder by Jacqueline Smith
- John Maclean, Hero of Red Clydeside by Henry Bell
- Hollie McNish OranMor
- Three Kinds of Kissing by Helen Lamb Book Launch
- After He Died Book Launch, Michael J Malone
- Stuart Paterson, Write on Cue!
- An Evening with Nawal Slemiah, Project Cafe Glasgow
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Stuart Cosgrove, ‘Harlem 69’ Book Launch
- Richard Holloway, Creative Conversatons
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- All The Time We Thought We Had, Gordon Darroch Waterstones
- Cheeky Besoms Speakeasy and Open Mic Night Glasgow
- She’s En Scene Women’s Film Screening and Discussion, Glasgow
- With Their Best Clothes On, New Writing Scotland Launch