The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
A poem about love:
THE CARRBRIDGE ROSE
The Packhorse Bridge arches its back
like a grey stone rainbow
over the hard flowing river
hurtling past banks of snowy ice.
We explore chatting
holding hands ever so slight
as if young love though we are not.
Our pasts ensure we tread warily.
Not knowing where these steps may lead
we are in no rush to be fools … again.
I notice a winter rosebush
draped in a shroud of sparkling frost.
In amongst its withered blooms
a single red rose.
You notice its perfect petals closed
as if frozen alive
as if sleeping
as if waiting
as if a heart is still beating.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Love Poems, Stories and Tales from Glasgow writers, Valentine's Day Glasgow 2016, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Writing
- Explore Wellspring Writing, Laura T. Fyfe, Scottish Writers
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- Ann-Marie MacDonald in conversation with Louise Welsh, University of Glasgow