The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
A poem about love:
THE CARRBRIDGE ROSE
The Packhorse Bridge arches its back
like a grey stone rainbow
over the hard flowing river
hurtling past banks of snowy ice.
We explore chatting
holding hands ever so slight
as if young love though we are not.
Our pasts ensure we tread warily.
Not knowing where these steps may lead
we are in no rush to be fools … again.
I notice a winter rosebush
draped in a shroud of sparkling frost.
In amongst its withered blooms
a single red rose.
You notice its perfect petals closed
as if frozen alive
as if sleeping
as if waiting
as if a heart is still beating.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Love Poems, Stories and Tales from Glasgow writers, Valentine's Day Glasgow 2016, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Writing
- Wee Write – Family Days at Aye Write! 3 and 4 March, 2018
- Ten Writers Telling Lies and M. Litt Creative Writing Open Mic, Gilchrist Centre University of Glasgow
- Nature Writing Beyond Landscape – Scottish Writers Centre, Glasgow
- Express Yourself, Women in Poetry at Tell It Slant, Friday 23 February, 2018
- Colin Herd, Poet at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- LGBT History Month, Film Screening and Discussion, STUC
- The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
- Ian Bell New Writing Award, Meet the Judges at Aye Write
- Sonnet Youth at The Drygate, 21 February, 2018
- Aye Write! Denise Mina introduces… Danny Denton & Mick Kitson 18 March, 2018
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations review Pat Byrne
- Sextival: Queer Relationships on Film, CCA
- Aye Write 2018 – Darren McGarvey & Raoul Martinez, Freedom From Poverty
- Eileen Myles and nick-e-melville, OranMor
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- The Darker Side of Fairytales with Kirsty Logan, Dumbarton Library
- Honest Error: Glasgow Poets on Charles Rennie Mackintosh, The Hunterian, University of Glasgow
- Writer David Keenan, Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- AyeWrite! 2018 Ten Writers Telling Lies