The Book of Blaise – Book Launch! Friday, October 9, 2015, Waterstones Byres Road Glasgow
The Book of Blaise – Book Launch!
Friday, October 9, 2015
Waterstones Byres Road
351-355 Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8AU
When Emeritus Compere of DisComBoBuLaTe, Ian Macpherson finished The Book of Blaise, he offered it to Penguin Classics. ‘Sorry,’ they said, ‘but it takes weeks these days to become a classic. Weeks.’
So he tried Gideon. They’ve done pretty well with The Bible over the years, and hotel double bedrooms do have two bedside tables. Bible. Book of Blaise. Perfect? Not so. It doesn’t, apparently, fit with the brand.
He was about to reconcile himself to the ignominy of a three-book deal with Harper Collins, but was saved from the living hell of mainstream success by Cloudberry Books, legendary publishers of The Autobiography of Ireland’s Greatest Living Genius, How To Write An Experimental Novel That Doesn’t Sell And Keeps On Not Selling, and Val Doonican – The Unvarnished Truth!
Cloudberry Books would love it if you could come to the launch party.
Alan Bissett will introduce the author, who will read some of the book’s steamier passages; all of which were instigated by his other guest, Magi Gibson. Magi will also be providing refreshments and professional laughter. She would also like to point out that any resemblance between herself and Blaise, the eponymous menopausal poet, is purely coincidental.
Can’t make the launch but would love the book? There will be launches in Edinburgh and Dublin, but you can get the book direct.
Cloudberrybooks@gmail.com and they’ll organise it. £8.99 plus postage.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Explore Wellspring Writing, Laura T. Fyfe, Scottish Writers
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- Ann-Marie MacDonald in conversation with Louise Welsh, University of Glasgow