The Book of Blaise – Book Launch! Friday, October 9, 2015, Waterstones Byres Road Glasgow
The Book of Blaise – Book Launch!
Friday, October 9, 2015
Waterstones Byres Road
351-355 Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8AU
When Emeritus Compere of DisComBoBuLaTe, Ian Macpherson finished The Book of Blaise, he offered it to Penguin Classics. ‘Sorry,’ they said, ‘but it takes weeks these days to become a classic. Weeks.’
So he tried Gideon. They’ve done pretty well with The Bible over the years, and hotel double bedrooms do have two bedside tables. Bible. Book of Blaise. Perfect? Not so. It doesn’t, apparently, fit with the brand.
He was about to reconcile himself to the ignominy of a three-book deal with Harper Collins, but was saved from the living hell of mainstream success by Cloudberry Books, legendary publishers of The Autobiography of Ireland’s Greatest Living Genius, How To Write An Experimental Novel That Doesn’t Sell And Keeps On Not Selling, and Val Doonican – The Unvarnished Truth!
Cloudberry Books would love it if you could come to the launch party.
Alan Bissett will introduce the author, who will read some of the book’s steamier passages; all of which were instigated by his other guest, Magi Gibson. Magi will also be providing refreshments and professional laughter. She would also like to point out that any resemblance between herself and Blaise, the eponymous menopausal poet, is purely coincidental.
Can’t make the launch but would love the book? There will be launches in Edinburgh and Dublin, but you can get the book direct.
Cloudberrybooks@gmail.com and they’ll organise it. £8.99 plus postage.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Book Week Scotland, Autumn Voices
- Simon Carlyle and Gregor Sharp, Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Kusama – Infinity, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Mark Kermode Book Tour at GFT, ‘How Does It Feel?’
- Breaking Boundaries, Bringing Translated Literature to Scotland
- Red Squirrel Press, Scottish Writers Centre
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Remembering Glasgow’s Forgotten Women
- Book Week Scotland 2018
- Liam McIlvanney, Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
- Glasgow Scribes (calligraphy).
- Book Week Scotland: Worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin Documentary GFT
- Book Week Scotland 2018 – Events at Arlington Baths Club
- Poetry at Inn Deep with Cat Hepburn
- Book Week Scotland: Denise Mina and Liam McIlvaney
- Scottish Pen: The Day of the Imprisoned Writer
- Catriona Malan – Meet the Author at Fruin Farm
- Mary Irvine: Scottish Writers Centre Comes Home
- ‘Neither Oil Nor Water’ book launch Jim Ferguson