The Book of Blaise – Book Launch! Friday, October 9, 2015, Waterstones Byres Road Glasgow
The Book of Blaise – Book Launch!
Friday, October 9, 2015
Waterstones Byres Road
351-355 Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8AU
When Emeritus Compere of DisComBoBuLaTe, Ian Macpherson finished The Book of Blaise, he offered it to Penguin Classics. ‘Sorry,’ they said, ‘but it takes weeks these days to become a classic. Weeks.’
So he tried Gideon. They’ve done pretty well with The Bible over the years, and hotel double bedrooms do have two bedside tables. Bible. Book of Blaise. Perfect? Not so. It doesn’t, apparently, fit with the brand.
He was about to reconcile himself to the ignominy of a three-book deal with Harper Collins, but was saved from the living hell of mainstream success by Cloudberry Books, legendary publishers of The Autobiography of Ireland’s Greatest Living Genius, How To Write An Experimental Novel That Doesn’t Sell And Keeps On Not Selling, and Val Doonican – The Unvarnished Truth!
Cloudberry Books would love it if you could come to the launch party.
Alan Bissett will introduce the author, who will read some of the book’s steamier passages; all of which were instigated by his other guest, Magi Gibson. Magi will also be providing refreshments and professional laughter. She would also like to point out that any resemblance between herself and Blaise, the eponymous menopausal poet, is purely coincidental.
Can’t make the launch but would love the book? There will be launches in Edinburgh and Dublin, but you can get the book direct.
Cloudberrybooks@gmail.com and they’ll organise it. £8.99 plus postage.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- ‘thi wurd’ #3 at The Old Hairdressers, Glasgow
- Jane Harris Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley
- The Scottish Witchfinder by Jacqueline Smith
- John Maclean, Hero of Red Clydeside by Henry Bell
- Hollie McNish OranMor
- Three Kinds of Kissing by Helen Lamb Book Launch
- After He Died Book Launch, Michael J Malone
- Stuart Paterson, Write on Cue!
- An Evening with Nawal Slemiah, Project Cafe Glasgow
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Stuart Cosgrove, ‘Harlem 69’ Book Launch
- Richard Holloway, Creative Conversatons
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- All The Time We Thought We Had, Gordon Darroch Waterstones
- Cheeky Besoms Speakeasy and Open Mic Night Glasgow
- She’s En Scene Women’s Film Screening and Discussion, Glasgow
- With Their Best Clothes On, New Writing Scotland Launch