Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
Ten writers telling lies…
The date, Thursday 27th April, 2017. The venue, Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow. The event, the culmination of a 15 month project between ten authors and the accomplished musician/songwriter, Jim Byrne.
I had attended several ‘taster’ sessions during the project and couldn’t wait to see it in its entirety. And I was not disappointed, nor was the sell-out audience. Their response reflected both their enjoyment and appreciation of a very professional presentation.
The stories and poems were varied in both style and content – comic, poignant, reminiscences, thought provoking. The songs were similarly so and Jim Byrne and Graham Mackintosh, on guitar and banjo, performed with considerable flair. I do have my favourite story and song but am not revealing which they are so I don’t influence a new audience.
I understand that an application for funding the project was turned down. It’s difficult to comprehend the reasoning behind the refusal. Surely this unique collaboration amongst talented artists is the sort of project that should be encouraged and promoted?
Nil desperandum. The group went ahead anyway and their hard work was rewarded and displayed in this event, justifying the faith they had in themselves and each other. Congratulations to all concerned. Long may the success continue.
I strongly recommend you attend one of the live sessions coming up at various venues. But to enjoy or re-live the project in its entirety buy the book and cd at £12 .99 at Ten Writers Telling Lies online shop.
PS I haven’t worked out any of the author’s dark secrets. I’m thinking that it’s a double bluff and that the lie is there isn’t one…
Mary Irvine, 2 May, 2017
Ten Writers Telling Lies Events
Tuesday, 9 May, 2017 – 7 p.m.
Scottish Writers, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Saturday 13 May, 2017 – 2 p.m.
Booked! West Dunbartonshire Festival of Words, Dalmuir Library, 10 Lennox Pl, Clydebank G81 4LX
Thursday, 8 June, 2017 – 7 p.m.
West End Festival, Waterstones, 351-355 Byres Rd, Glasgow G12 8AU
Further events will take place later in the year.
- Mary Irvine blogging about A Goodbye Lunch
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Sad Day – Murder of Martin Luther King Jr
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Open Mic Hits The Sticks
- The Magician by Mary Irvine
- The Square, Broomhill, Glasgow – Restaurant Review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Writing about Greece and Byres Road Book Festival
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: PC Gone Mad, To Kill A Mocking Bird
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Another Musical Musing, October, 2017
- Leiper’s Attic at Cottiers Glasgow review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s Blog:Merchant City Festival Outdoor Stage at the Tron 22.07.2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review of ‘A Murder of Crows’ – A Debut Novel by Ian Skewis
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Time Out, Glasgow Women’s Library, St Louis Partick,July, 2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Anne and Mary’s Local Tales Review
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Autumn Voices: Exploring creativity in later life & writing comp for over 60s.
- Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Spa Day at the Carrick
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Lennox Heritage Society review talk in February, 2017
- Mary Irvine: Musings from Spetses 3.
- Mary Irvine’s Blog, Musings from Greece 2, February, 20, 2017