Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
Ten writers telling lies…
The date, Thursday 27th April, 2017. The venue, Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow. The event, the culmination of a 15 month project between ten authors and the accomplished musician/songwriter, Jim Byrne.
I had attended several ‘taster’ sessions during the project and couldn’t wait to see it in its entirety. And I was not disappointed, nor was the sell-out audience. Their response reflected both their enjoyment and appreciation of a very professional presentation.
The stories and poems were varied in both style and content – comic, poignant, reminiscences, thought provoking. The songs were similarly so and Jim Byrne and Graham Mackintosh, on guitar and banjo, performed with considerable flair. I do have my favourite story and song but am not revealing which they are so I don’t influence a new audience.
I understand that an application for funding the project was turned down. It’s difficult to comprehend the reasoning behind the refusal. Surely this unique collaboration amongst talented artists is the sort of project that should be encouraged and promoted?
Nil desperandum. The group went ahead anyway and their hard work was rewarded and displayed in this event, justifying the faith they had in themselves and each other. Congratulations to all concerned. Long may the success continue.
I strongly recommend you attend one of the live sessions coming up at various venues. But to enjoy or re-live the project in its entirety buy the book and cd at £12 .99 at Ten Writers Telling Lies online shop.
PS I haven’t worked out any of the author’s dark secrets. I’m thinking that it’s a double bluff and that the lie is there isn’t one…
Mary Irvine, 2 May, 2017
Ten Writers Telling Lies Events
Tuesday, 9 May, 2017 – 7 p.m.
Scottish Writers, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Saturday 13 May, 2017 – 2 p.m.
Booked! West Dunbartonshire Festival of Words, Dalmuir Library, 10 Lennox Pl, Clydebank G81 4LX
Thursday, 8 June, 2017 – 7 p.m.
West End Festival, Waterstones, 351-355 Byres Rd, Glasgow G12 8AU
Further events will take place later in the year.
- Rory’s Way GFT
- Neither Wolf Nor Dog, GFT
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Ashurbanipal
- Richard Holloway ‘Waiting for the Last Bus’ review Mary Irvine
- Robin Lloyd-Jones ‘A life in books’ Helensburgh Library
- Glasgow Writer: Mary Irvine
- May 2019 at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Southside Fringe Festival 2019
- Colorado and the Rockies. May 2019
- The Store Interiors, Anniesland, Glasgow
- Crossways -Irish/Scottish Cultural and Literary Festival Glasgow
- West End Festival 2019 – Programme Launch
- Seven Song Club, Lynnie Carson , Rebecca Jordan and Bearpit Brothers
- Aye Write 2019! Sara Sheridan introduces Anne Griffin and Anstey Harris
- Rites of Spring, Thistle Gallery
- Save Otago Lane Family Festival
- Aye Write 2019, Tom Shields review by Mary Irvine
- Aye Write: Kamal Ahmed: The Life and Times of a Very British Man review Mary Irvine
- Aye Write 2019: ‘It’s Not About the Burqa’ Mariam Khan, Amna Saleem’ review Mary Irvine
- Neil Oliver at Aye Write 2019 review by Mary Irvine