Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
Ten writers telling lies…
The date, Thursday 27th April, 2017. The venue, Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow. The event, the culmination of a 15 month project between ten authors and the accomplished musician/songwriter, Jim Byrne.
I had attended several ‘taster’ sessions during the project and couldn’t wait to see it in its entirety. And I was not disappointed, nor was the sell-out audience. Their response reflected both their enjoyment and appreciation of a very professional presentation.
The stories and poems were varied in both style and content – comic, poignant, reminiscences, thought provoking. The songs were similarly so and Jim Byrne and Graham Mackintosh, on guitar and banjo, performed with considerable flair. I do have my favourite story and song but am not revealing which they are so I don’t influence a new audience.
I understand that an application for funding the project was turned down. It’s difficult to comprehend the reasoning behind the refusal. Surely this unique collaboration amongst talented artists is the sort of project that should be encouraged and promoted?
Nil desperandum. The group went ahead anyway and their hard work was rewarded and displayed in this event, justifying the faith they had in themselves and each other. Congratulations to all concerned. Long may the success continue.
I strongly recommend you attend one of the live sessions coming up at various venues. But to enjoy or re-live the project in its entirety buy the book and cd at £12 .99 at Ten Writers Telling Lies online shop.
PS I haven’t worked out any of the author’s dark secrets. I’m thinking that it’s a double bluff and that the lie is there isn’t one…
Mary Irvine, 2 May, 2017
Ten Writers Telling Lies Events
Tuesday, 9 May, 2017 – 7 p.m.
Scottish Writers, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Saturday 13 May, 2017 – 2 p.m.
Booked! West Dunbartonshire Festival of Words, Dalmuir Library, 10 Lennox Pl, Clydebank G81 4LX
Thursday, 8 June, 2017 – 7 p.m.
West End Festival, Waterstones, 351-355 Byres Rd, Glasgow G12 8AU
Further events will take place later in the year.
- Dark Vanilla Jungle Websters
- The Store Interiors, Anniesland, Glasgow
- Scottish PEN Writers In Exile review by Pat Byrne
- Start – Graham Morgan at Helensburgh Library
- Songs of Love and Freedom, Kelvingrove Bandstand
- Don’t miss the summer sale at Jasmine, Glasgow West End
- The Lansdowne Mother India Tapas review by Pat Byrne
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- TransEurope Café Glasgow
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- The Pieman Cometh Oran Mor West End Festival 2019
- An Evening with Multi Award winning author Robin Lloyd-Jones
- Rory’s Way GFT
- Dan Richards Booked! Festival 2019 review Mary Irvine
- Fashion Design Students Showcase Degree Show 2019
- Mother India’s Cafe at The Lansdowne
- Neither Wolf Nor Dog, GFT
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Ashurbanipal
- Richard Holloway ‘Waiting for the Last Bus’ review Mary Irvine