Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
14 July, 2018
Street Level Photoworks
Join renowned actor, playwright AND photographer Steven Berkoff for a walk and talk tour of his exhibition ‘Gorbals 1966’.
This never before seen body of work covers a period in the Autumn of 1966, when Berkoff was an actor with The Citizens Theatre. In the days he had off from acting, he would be out exploring with his camera, using that time to photograph the environment around The Citizens.
He was fascinated by the the appalling decay of The Gorbals, which was waiting for the iron ball of the demolition workers. These photographs capture most of it just in time. Like many photographers he was drawn to slums and decay, ‘because these are the areas in which I was brought up.’
Steven had already begun to capture the old Jewish East End, so The Gorbals photographs became a very apt echo of what was going on in the slums of London. His London photographs are captured in the book ‘East End Photographs’, edited by Lucy Bell.
Space will be limited, first come basis and the doors will open at 1.45pm. The talk is free but attendees can acquire a signed copy of the book at a special price of £10. The book contains all the images in the exhibition as well as a recent interview with Steven (please note the event is NOT seated but please ask a member of staff if you would like one).
103 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5H
- CINE[STHESIA] – Scots and America, Kelvin Hall
- Annual Charities Xmas Fayre Glasgow
- Christmas Festival at Riverside Museum Glasgow
- Vintage Bus Fayre Glasgow
- Something Good Will Always Happen – Graham Fulton
- The Children’s Wood, Halloween 2018
- Many Singers Many Songs, Maryhill, 24 November, 2018
- West Dunbartonshire Christmas Toy Appeal
- Six and a Tanner, One Man Play by Rony Bridges
- Tai Chi Classes at Hillhead Sports Club
- Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
- Cultural Diversity Showcase, The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Black History Month
- “Freedom Bound” – Slavery in Scotland Discussion at GOMA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Freedom Bound – Escaping Slavery in Scotland
- Dublin Film Festival celebrating New Scottish Cinema
- Glasgow Christmas Lights Switch On
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre at The Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Lady Vengeance at Glasgow Film Theatre
- John Carpenter: Master of Horror at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Handmaiden – GFT