Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
14 July, 2018
Street Level Photoworks
Join renowned actor, playwright AND photographer Steven Berkoff for a walk and talk tour of his exhibition ‘Gorbals 1966’.
This never before seen body of work covers a period in the Autumn of 1966, when Berkoff was an actor with The Citizens Theatre. In the days he had off from acting, he would be out exploring with his camera, using that time to photograph the environment around The Citizens.
He was fascinated by the the appalling decay of The Gorbals, which was waiting for the iron ball of the demolition workers. These photographs capture most of it just in time. Like many photographers he was drawn to slums and decay, ‘because these are the areas in which I was brought up.’
Steven had already begun to capture the old Jewish East End, so The Gorbals photographs became a very apt echo of what was going on in the slums of London. His London photographs are captured in the book ‘East End Photographs’, edited by Lucy Bell.
Space will be limited, first come basis and the doors will open at 1.45pm. The talk is free but attendees can acquire a signed copy of the book at a special price of £10. The book contains all the images in the exhibition as well as a recent interview with Steven (please note the event is NOT seated but please ask a member of staff if you would like one).
103 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5H
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh Design: House For An Art Lover – Photo Gallery
- Isle of Bute. May 2018.
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery