Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
14 July, 2018
Street Level Photoworks
Join renowned actor, playwright AND photographer Steven Berkoff for a walk and talk tour of his exhibition ‘Gorbals 1966’.
This never before seen body of work covers a period in the Autumn of 1966, when Berkoff was an actor with The Citizens Theatre. In the days he had off from acting, he would be out exploring with his camera, using that time to photograph the environment around The Citizens.
He was fascinated by the the appalling decay of The Gorbals, which was waiting for the iron ball of the demolition workers. These photographs capture most of it just in time. Like many photographers he was drawn to slums and decay, ‘because these are the areas in which I was brought up.’
Steven had already begun to capture the old Jewish East End, so The Gorbals photographs became a very apt echo of what was going on in the slums of London. His London photographs are captured in the book ‘East End Photographs’, edited by Lucy Bell.
Space will be limited, first come basis and the doors will open at 1.45pm. The talk is free but attendees can acquire a signed copy of the book at a special price of £10. The book contains all the images in the exhibition as well as a recent interview with Steven (please note the event is NOT seated but please ask a member of staff if you would like one).
103 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5H
- New Candys + Kundalini Genie & Gelatine
- Aye Write: The Writing of Janet Paisley with Dr Linda Jackson, University of Strathclyde
- Silent Disco Party Parade, The Record Factory
- Creative Conversations – Novelist Jacob Ross
- GFF19 Jim Galloway – A Journey In Jazz CCA
- A Private War GFT
- Tell It To The Bees
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- The Vanishing Glasgow Film Theatre
- An Elephant Sitting Still Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Raft Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tickets on Sale Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Poetry at Inn Deep
- The Hole in the Ground, Glasgow Film Festival
- Transatlantic Sessions Celtic Connections 2019 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- FrightFest Week-End 1 and 2 March, 2019
- Full Programme Announced Glasgow Film Festival
- Aye Write: Louise Welsh Introduces… Temi Oh & Bridget Collins
- Aye Write: Helena Kennedy QC
- Aye Write: Stuart Cosgrove & Ken McNab