Starchild Charity working to improve the lives of girls and women
Maama Wa Miti
Starchild helps to run a successful women’s project in Jinja called Maama Wa Miti. Over 60 vulnerable women are empowered through training in animal husbandry, poultry, horticulture and tailoring. In order to support their children, the community members are encouraged to engage in the education of their children. Selling offspring from poultry, pig, cow farming and surplus vegetables from their gardens, generates a source of income as well as nutrition for the family. The women are also made aware of the environment and climate change. Sewing machines, fabrics and threads have also been provided by Starchild with the help of Remnant Kings and TWAM. Having a trade means the women can earn an income making school uniforms, bedding and clothes for the community. They also practice beading and weaving and sell their goods locally and internationally.
Starchild maintains an advisory role to the women’s activities, encouraging them to save and teaching them life skills. The focus is on encouraging the women to be participants, innovative and responsible for developing business ideas and activities that can help transform their lives and those of their children. These projects offer long-term sustainability and have transformed the lives of many of the women and children.
“We thanks our dear Starchild who gave us seeds. It really helps us. Now we have gardens of beans, cabbages, tomatoes, even greens. The cloth which helps us make uniforms and sewing machines have done a lot!!! We were in extreme poverty but now we have sustainable year round income.”
Chairperson Mrs Kasube Merabue
Maama Wa Miti Women’s group
Starchild also provides a sanitary health care program to the most marginalized girls. Makapads are an environmentally friendly, low cost sanitary pad, designed and manufactured at Makerere University in Kampala. The use of Makapads insures that girls who are at risk of drop out and missing exams at school, no longer have to fear something as natural as their menstrual cycle. Education is crucial for transforming the lives of these girls and moving them out of the poverty cycle. And, most recently Starchild has started a scholarship fund to help the most marginalized girls to transition from primary to secondary school.
“Because of the Makapads provided by Starchild, we have seen an increase in the girl child uptake at our school. The girls are happier and stay in school because they are not teased by the boys. They no longer have to stay at home and miss exams and can complete their education.”
David Wamala Paul
Deputy Head Kabungo Secondary School, Masaka, Uganda
“Starchild lit a candle in my life. Please don’t let anyone blow it out.”
Nabbasa Esther Ruth
Esther is one of the eleven children that has benefited from our Give the Gift of Education campaign to sponsor her Secondary School this year. Without an education opportunities in Uganda are bleak, Starchild needs your help to continue to provide for every child we work with to fulfil their dream of an education and hopes for a brighter future.
This section: Starchild
Filed under: Starchild
- Starchild Charity working to improve the lives of girls and women
- Stars for Starchild, Fundraiser 10 March, 2018
- Further achievements by the Starchild Charity February, 2018
- Starchild. Preview Art for Auction, OanMor, Sunday 23 October, 2016
- Art for Africa, Starchild Charity’s 3rd Annual Auction Preview, Sunday 23 October, 2016, OranMor
- Starchild Charity – New School to Open 9th May, 2016
- School Uniforms for Christmas – Starchild
- Starchild Charity: Second Art for Auction McTears Friday 18th September until 18th October, 2015
- Art for Auction No 2, Starchild, 18 September – 18 October, 2015 McTears
- Starchild Ceilidh, 28 March, Shawlands Academy
- Starchild Taboo Challenge – For Men Only
- Art Auction: Michaela on the Riverside Show
- Starchild’s Italian Festa! Sunday, September 14, Bella Roma
- Starchild: Tea Party, 10th May, Netherlee Partish Church
- Talk on Starchild, Netherlee Church, 19th February, 2014
- Starchild: Fundraising Auction 1st March Shawlands Academy, Glasgow G41 3TR