Stage Experience: The Wizard of Oz, Theatre Royal 22 and 23 July, 2016
Following on from the success of Bugsy Malone, Stage Experience returns with a new production of the magical musical, The Wizard of Oz. When a tornado hits Kansas and Dorothy is swept away, she finds herself on a journey to find her way back home. Perhaps the best-loved adventure of them all, with songs from the original film, this fresh imagining of the classic family favourite is brought to life with a cast of bright, local talent.
Theatre Royal, 282 Hope St, Glasgow G2 3QA
Friday 22 & Saturday 23 July, 2016 – 7 p.m.
Matinee Saturdy 2PM
Box Office: 0844 871 7647 Calls cost up to 7p per min plus your company’s access charge.
Dress rehearsals for this year’s Stage Experience production of the Wizard of Oz started off with a bark today as cast members welcomed a real life Toto to the stage of Theatre Royal.
After weeks of searching for the perfect Cairn Terrier, Angus, who lives with Sara Hollaran and Eunice Smith of Pollock, Glasgow got stuck into life as an actor this morning ahead of the curtain going up on Oz tomorrow at 7pm.
Open auditions were held at the aptly named Wizard of Paws on Cogan Street in Glasgow which is owned by the parents of Stage Experience company member Gabby Rose.
Sara and Eunice initially took Angus along to try outs simply for a day out.
Sara said: “We saw the post for open auditions on Facebook and so we decided to take Angus along for fun as much as anything.
“He loves being around other dogs and people.
“If he was chosen to play Toto, that was a bonus but it was just about giving him a bit of fun.”
Toto will join the 74-strong cast for all three shows taking place this weekend at Theatre Royal and it will certainly be a very different way of life for Sara, a fraud manager, and Eunice, a software analyst, as they take in the backstage magic of the prestigious venue over the next two days.
Stage experience company cast members include East Kilbride’s Cara McQuiston,13, as leading lady Dorothy; Keira Bell,16, from Prestwick as the Lion; Marcus Hyka,16, from Glasgow as the Scarecrow and Alastair McLeod,16, from Cumbernauld as the Tin Woodsman.
They will be joined by Anna Cowen, also from Glasgow, as the Wicked Witch of the West; Matthew Cunningham,16, from Bishopbriggs as the Wizard of Oz and Ellie MConnachie,14, from Erskine as Glinda the Good Witch of the East.
The production follows the success of Stage Experience’s performance of Bugsy Malone last year, with Director Rebecca Atack and Musical Director Ryan Moir returning to their roles alongside Choreographer Lisa Kennedy who joins the creative team for the first time.
This spellbinding musical features the much-loved songs from the Oscar-winning movie score including Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Follow The Yellow Brick Road, and We’re Off To See The Wizard.
By arrangement with MusicScope and Stage Musicals Limited of New York, Stage Experience: The Wizard of Oz is an amateur production.
Glasgow Theatres’ Creative Learning team offers a unique training experience giving young performers the opportunity to act, dance, sing and follow the yellow brick road onto the prestigious Theatre Royal stage.
By L. Frank Baum
With Music and Lyrics of the MGM motion picture score
By Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg
Background Music by Herbert Stothart
Dance & Vocal Arrangement by Peter Howard
Adapted by John Kane from the motion picture screenplay
- Minis Rugby Hillhead Sports Club
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival – 10th Anniversary
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, School of Rock, Blythswood Hall.
- The Mask of Zorro, Blythswood Hall, Glasgow
- Worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Darkstar Academy Course for Kids Hillhead Sports Club
- Patrick at GFT, Take 2 Free Family Film
- Young People invited to Meet Mhairi Black M.P., Clydebank
- Late Night: Superbad, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- #Beactive Festival, George Square, Glasgow
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, 10 Anniversary Edition Programme (2018)
- NATIVITY! THE MUSICAL RETURNS TO SCOTLAND TO SEARCH FOR STAR ROLES
- Broomhill Sports Club, Football for Girls
- Royston Youth Action, Community Fun Day 2018
- Govanhill International Festival and Carnival 2018
- Activity and Nature Discovery Day at Bowling Harbour
- Kids’ Scrapbook Workshop, Cottiers
- Family Friendly Autism Workshop, Riverside Museum
- Celebrating 80 years of the Beano, National Library of Scotland, Kelvin Hall
- Roald Dahl Film Festival at The Seamore, West End Festival 2018