Sounds in the Suburbs present James King and the Lone Wolves + The Veloninos, CCA, 14 January, 2017
Sat 14 January 2017
7.30pm, £12 + £1 booking fee, Theatre
Book online / 0141 352 4900
James Kind and the Lone Wolves
Nowadays, the Lone Wolves guitars resonate like Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd’s once did in Television in ‘75 – an unhinged Creedence Clearwater Revival; a Hitchcock-tampered-with The Byrds, and a cerebrally, and musically-abused version of what we once knew as Americana and NYC No Wave forward thinking.
James King and his cohorts are without doubt – ‘Back From The Dead’ Initially formed in 1981 from the remnants of Glasgow punk band, The Backstabbers, The Fun Four made a mark on the increasingly, interesting and burgeoning Post-Punk Scene with Singing In The Showers featuring Orange Juice’s Steven Daly, on his NMC records, just as he was releasing the prototype Edinburgh version of Television, Josef K, on Absolute Records, under the name of TV Art – Chance Meeting b/w Romance.
With a handful of new songs already penned for an abandoned Shakin’ Pyramids reunion, Davie Duncan and Kenny McLellan shelved the material and put any future plans aside, at least for the time being. Jim had already decided to pursue a solo career.
Two years later, an impromptu get together with Laurie Cuffe and Shug Jamieson (old friends from Glasgow’s music scene of the late 70s/early 80s) rekindled the fire.
It was a chance to catch up and play a few tunes. Out came the guitars and with them all the old songs. Hank Williams, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, The Everly Brothers, The Rock ‘n’ Roll Trio, the evening soiree would go rockin’ into the night and well into the next morning.
You just know this is going to be a great night of rock’n’roll! Doors at 7.30.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Britain on Film: Welcome to Britain plus Q & A GFT
- Love Me or Leave Me, GFT
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- The Captor, GFT
- The Thursday Show at The Stand, West End Festival 2019
- A Stab in the Dark : Murder on Byres Road West End Festival 2019
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- Dusty Won’t Play at OranMor, West End Festival
- Rab Noakes, Websters 2
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- Ceilidh Dances at Cottiers, West End Festival 2019
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- Beatson Cancer Charity Gin and Sing, Bohemian Rhapsody
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival