Sounds in the Suburbs present James King and the Lone Wolves + The Veloninos, CCA, 14 January, 2017
Sat 14 January 2017
7.30pm, £12 + £1 booking fee, Theatre
Book online / 0141 352 4900
James Kind and the Lone Wolves
Nowadays, the Lone Wolves guitars resonate like Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd’s once did in Television in ‘75 – an unhinged Creedence Clearwater Revival; a Hitchcock-tampered-with The Byrds, and a cerebrally, and musically-abused version of what we once knew as Americana and NYC No Wave forward thinking.
James King and his cohorts are without doubt – ‘Back From The Dead’ Initially formed in 1981 from the remnants of Glasgow punk band, The Backstabbers, The Fun Four made a mark on the increasingly, interesting and burgeoning Post-Punk Scene with Singing In The Showers featuring Orange Juice’s Steven Daly, on his NMC records, just as he was releasing the prototype Edinburgh version of Television, Josef K, on Absolute Records, under the name of TV Art – Chance Meeting b/w Romance.
With a handful of new songs already penned for an abandoned Shakin’ Pyramids reunion, Davie Duncan and Kenny McLellan shelved the material and put any future plans aside, at least for the time being. Jim had already decided to pursue a solo career.
Two years later, an impromptu get together with Laurie Cuffe and Shug Jamieson (old friends from Glasgow’s music scene of the late 70s/early 80s) rekindled the fire.
It was a chance to catch up and play a few tunes. Out came the guitars and with them all the old songs. Hank Williams, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, The Everly Brothers, The Rock ‘n’ Roll Trio, the evening soiree would go rockin’ into the night and well into the next morning.
You just know this is going to be a great night of rock’n’roll! Doors at 7.30.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- A Play, Pie and A Pint: King Keich, OranMor by Louise Welsh
- Luca Manning and Finn Bradley – The Music of Chet Baker
- Nice Thursday Market, Merchants House, Glasgow
- Disability Led Creative Movement CCA Oct/Dec 2018
- Women’s Voices in Culture and Politics in Cuba CCA
- Writers for Peace, Project Cafe
- Fiona Burns Mindfulness Course Hillhead Sports Club
- Shake Hands With The Devil, CCA
- Africa in Motion – I Still Hide To Smoke, GFT
- Calibre, GFT
- St Andrew’s Torch Light Parade Glasgow West End
- A Woman Captured GFT
- The Handmaiden – GFT
- Glasgow Havana Film Festival 2018, GFT
- Estonia Now at GFT
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2018
- Standing on Their Shoulders, UK Premier, Africa in Motion Film Festival
- DUNOON FILM FESTIVAL 2018 ANNOUNCES FULL PROGRAMME
- John Carpenter: Master of Horror at Glasgow Film Theatre
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley