Session A9 Celtic Connections 2018 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
An entertaining night! Session A9 are a multi-talented band led by fiddler Charlie Mckerron – striking music with four top fiddlers. The band treated us to a variety of slow airs, songs, reels and jigs, with feet dancing rhythms and bows swinging with powerhouse dynamism! There were also slow melancholy tunes.
Included was a Ross Ainslie number and some new tunes by Charles Mckerron. Fiddler, Adam Sutherland spoke of his composition commissioned for New Voices in 2004. Meanwhile guitarist Marc Clement sang a couple of country folk songs – ‘These Days’, ‘Take away the well so deep.’ For their encore the band performed the very fitting ‘One for the Road.’
There was enjoyable funny banter among the band. Brian McAlpine spoke of the 25 years of Celtic tradition and culture, to sell our culture on and how it was amazing what had been achieved. He offered a big thanks to all involved with putting on the festival including those working behind the scenes. He spoke of the scope and breadth of the festival and wondered where the festival might be in 25 years time!
The players consisted of – Charlie Mckerron – Fiddle, Gordon Gunn – Fiddle & Mandolin, Adam Sutherland – Fiddle, Kevin Henderson – Fiddle, Brian McAlpine – Piano, David Robertson – Percussion and Marc Clement – Guitar & Vocals.
Session A9 played a residency at Epcot and celebrated their fist decade with the album ‘Paths That Wind’. They were voted ‘Best Live Act 2012’ at the Scottish Trad Awards.
Review and Photos by Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Transatlantic Sessions Celtic Connections 2019 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- Open Mic Tuesdays at Queen Margaret Union
- Lola in Slacks Single Launch at Websters
- New Traditions: Talisk, Vishtèn and Xabier Diaz at Celtic Connections 2019
- Celtic Connections: Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s
- Dave Arcari and Andres Roots
- Pucinni’s La Bohème in Paisley
- The Wellgreen, Stilton and Big Hogg
- Sisters and Seamonsters – Chiara Berardelli
- Celtic Connections Grace and Danger, Tribute to John Martyn photographs and review by Pauline Keightley
- Kathleen Macinnes at Celtic Connections photos and review by Pauline Keightley
- Word Jazzology 16 February, 2019
- Celtic Connections: Carla J Easton and Mark McGowan, OranMor
- Celtic Connections, Sync of the Times review and photographs, Pauline Keightley
- World Without Walls with musician and songwriter Brian McFall
- Sophie Rocks, Harpist – ‘Notes from Shetland to Shanghai’
- Curtain Set to Rise on Celtic Connections 2019
- Shoot the Craw, Farewell Gig
- Fiskur and Lizzie Reid, King Tuts
- A Wee Exhibition, Photography, Old Hairdressers