Screening Irish History Outsiders’ Histories, GFT, 8 – 29 May, 2017
GFT 8 – 29 May, 2017
This series explores dramatic and sometimes troubling aspects of Irish history. From single mothers to forgotten emigrants, each film takes the perspective of outsiders and critical voices to reveal Irish society in imaginative and provocative ways. The series includes Philomena, The Rocky Road to Dublin, I Could Read the Sky and the Scottish premiere of the documentary Hubert Butler: Witness to the Future. Each screening will be followed by a panel discussion and Q&A featuring filmmakers, historians and other commentators.
Screening Irish History is co-organized with the University of Strathclyde’s History department and led by Dr Niall Whelehan.
8 May, 2017
Rocky Road To Dublin
This screening will be followed by a discussion and Q&A with Carole Holohan, historian and author of Reframing Irish Youth in the Sixties.
15 May, 2017
Hubert Butler: Witness To The Future
Followed by a discussion and Q&A with director Johnny Gogan, about the film and Butler’s eventful life.
22 May, 2017
This screening will be followed by a discussion and Q&A with historian Lindsey-Earner Byrne, the author of Mother and Child and Letters of the Catholic Poor.
29 May, 2017
I Could Read The Sky
This screening will be followed by a discussion with Enda Delaney, historian and author of The Irish in Post-War Britain.
GFT, 12 Rose Sgtreet, G3 6RB
8 – 29 May, 2017
GFT, 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
- Standing on Their Shoulders, UK Premier, Africa in Motion Film Festival
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2018
- The Little Stranger, GFT
- The Greatest Showman Sing-a-long, Glasgow Film Theatre
- ‘Young Solitude’ Review by Lola Rose
- Make Me Up at GFT
- Blueprint Independent Shorts GFT
- Womens Work 100, Fairfield Govan
- Soft Cell One Final Time, Live from London, GFT
- A Northern Soul, GFT
- The Wife, GFT
- Taggart Pilot Screening, The Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- The Greatest Showman Eat/Film at Sloans
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley
- Singin’ in the Rain, The Seamore
- The Eyes of Orson Welles, The Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Black 47 GFT
- Anchor and Hope, GFT
- European Art Cinema Day, Dogman GFT
- Sympathy for Mr Vengeance GFT