Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
Monday ’24 June, 2019, 6.30 p.m. – 8.00 p.m.
The Project Café, 134 Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6ST
What does home look like when you are writing far away, unable to return?
As part of the Refugee Festival Scotland, Scottish PEN’s Writers In Exile committee will bring together a range of exiled writers, or those writing far from home to discuss how distance, the inability to return and living in the UK has influenced their writing and their lives. As part of this we will also speak to journalists who now live in Scotland following threats to them or others for speaking out and speaking up. Chaired by Liz Niven, the chair of the Writers In Exile Committee, this will be a frank and open discussion looking at how free expression can transcend national borders, the reasons for exile and what home looks like, irrespective of how far from it you now are.
The event will also feature a series of readings of poetry and short fiction from PENning, the Writers in Exile Committee’s biannual online journal, presenting work by Scottish PEN members alongside writing from people living in Scotland who are from other parts of the world.
‘Please join us as we reimagine home and stand in solidarity with those forced into exile for speaking up’
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- An Evening with Gracey Flair at Helensburgh Library
- The Rebirth of the Clyde, Fairfield Heritage
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Free event: Scottish Writers Showcase, University of Glasgow
- Book Launch: Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Book Launch: A City of Segregation CCA
- Danger Poets, Waterstones Byres Road
- Women With Fierce Words CCA
- Books at the Botanics
- Launch Govanhill Book Festival 2019
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Paul Murdoch, Alexandria Writers + Open Mic
- Pinolino Puppet Show and Story Telling
- Free Pride CCA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Bruce Biddolph Outstanding as ‘The Inquisitor’
- Edinburgh International Book Festival 2019
- Stories from the Southside – Govanhill Book Festival
- Obsession: Double Bill Safe/To Die For GFT
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas