Sasha-Kate Robb, Winner Scots Poetry Recital Championship, 2014. Hyndland School.
“Eh’ma pizza, a magic pizza, bein’ stuck in the freezer’s a scunner..!” – was all the parents of Sasha-Kate heard for weeks and weeks as she practiced for her “Scots Poetry” school competition celebrating Rabbie Burns’ Day at Hyndland Primary School in Glasgow’s West End.
Sasha-Kate, who is in P4, picked the poem called “The Magic Pizza” by Alison Fitt because she was certain it would make people in her school laugh – and making people smile is what Sasha enjoys most. She acted out the entire poem with clever dramatic interpretation and a strong emphasis on Scottish words familiar to children of her age. Her loud and very memorable performance on the school stage impressed the entire school, parents and the judges of the competition.
As a P4 pupil competing against the kids from years 4-7, Sasha-Kate had always said that other kids were very good, but she was just very happy to participate in the show and represent her class. Her classmates were all in the audience to support her at the event.
Little did she know, that the her hard work and persistent practicing in front of her family – almost every night standing on a chair – would win her the trophy of the “Scots Poetry Recital” championship P4-P7 for the year 2014!
And guess where she wanted to go for a celebratory treat? Out for a Pizza!
Well Done Sasha, you’ve made your parents so proud!
Here’s what John Robertson M.P., who was one of the judges, had to say:
“The variety, depth and quality of the recitals by all the young people, of all year groups, is a great credit to the pupils and all the staff in the school.”
- Wild Festival and Gala, Children’s Wood
- Nobody Knows GFT
- Free Comic Book Day, City Centre Comics
- Take Access 2: Bumblebee
- Save Otago Lane Family Festival
- T.Rex is in Town, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Aye Write 2019 Gaelic Reading and Singing (Family Event)
- Woodlands Community Garden’s 9th Birthday Celebration
- Music Broth Grow With Music Youth Project
- Joe Thomas announced as first Young Films Foundation Ambassador
- Creative Pathways Designed by Disruption, Impact Arts
- Burns for Bairns OranMor
- New Rhythms for Glasgow Mid-term Music and Art Workshops, Maryhill
- Jam Project – Free Music Classes at Music Broth
- Wee Write 2019
- The Muppet Christmas Carol, GFT
- Kids Christmas Party Cottiers
- GRAMNet/BEMIS Film Series Talented & Young: We Are Scotland
- Christmas Play in a Day, Hillhead Library
- Worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin, GFT