Sasha-Kate Robb, Winner Scots Poetry Recital Championship, 2014. Hyndland School.
“Eh’ma pizza, a magic pizza, bein’ stuck in the freezer’s a scunner..!” – was all the parents of Sasha-Kate heard for weeks and weeks as she practiced for her “Scots Poetry” school competition celebrating Rabbie Burns’ Day at Hyndland Primary School in Glasgow’s West End.
Sasha-Kate, who is in P4, picked the poem called “The Magic Pizza” by Alison Fitt because she was certain it would make people in her school laugh – and making people smile is what Sasha enjoys most. She acted out the entire poem with clever dramatic interpretation and a strong emphasis on Scottish words familiar to children of her age. Her loud and very memorable performance on the school stage impressed the entire school, parents and the judges of the competition.
As a P4 pupil competing against the kids from years 4-7, Sasha-Kate had always said that other kids were very good, but she was just very happy to participate in the show and represent her class. Her classmates were all in the audience to support her at the event.
Little did she know, that the her hard work and persistent practicing in front of her family – almost every night standing on a chair – would win her the trophy of the “Scots Poetry Recital” championship P4-P7 for the year 2014!
And guess where she wanted to go for a celebratory treat? Out for a Pizza!
Well Done Sasha, you’ve made your parents so proud!
Here’s what John Robertson M.P., who was one of the judges, had to say:
“The variety, depth and quality of the recitals by all the young people, of all year groups, is a great credit to the pupils and all the staff in the school.”
- Minis Rugby Hillhead Sports Club
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival – 10th Anniversary
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, School of Rock, Blythswood Hall.
- The Mask of Zorro, Blythswood Hall, Glasgow
- Worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Darkstar Academy Course for Kids Hillhead Sports Club
- Patrick at GFT, Take 2 Free Family Film
- Young People invited to Meet Mhairi Black M.P., Clydebank
- Late Night: Superbad, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- #Beactive Festival, George Square, Glasgow
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, 10 Anniversary Edition Programme (2018)
- NATIVITY! THE MUSICAL RETURNS TO SCOTLAND TO SEARCH FOR STAR ROLES
- Broomhill Sports Club, Football for Girls
- Royston Youth Action, Community Fun Day 2018
- Govanhill International Festival and Carnival 2018
- Activity and Nature Discovery Day at Bowling Harbour
- Kids’ Scrapbook Workshop, Cottiers
- Family Friendly Autism Workshop, Riverside Museum
- Celebrating 80 years of the Beano, National Library of Scotland, Kelvin Hall
- Roald Dahl Film Festival at The Seamore, West End Festival 2018