Remembering the 40 hour strike – Walking Tour Glasgow
Saturday, 2nd February, 2019 – 12 p.m. Starts from George Square, City Centre.
With David Lees, Ewan Gibb and Henry Bell
To commemorate the centenary of the 40-hours strike there will be a walking tour on Saturday 2nd February.
Free event – all welcome.
During late January and early February 1919 workers in Glasgow and the surrounding area were joined by miners in the Lanarkshire and Fife coalfield in striking for a shorter working week. Trade unionists feared employers would take advantage of demobilised soldiers swelling the workforce to claw back improvements in pay and conditions won during wartime. The 40-hour strike was led by trade union activists in the unofficial Clyde Workers’ Committee who didn’t trust bosses, the government to build ‘homes fit for heroes’. Strikers attempted, and were partially successful, in building a general strike among workers across sectors, and targeted strategically important sectors such as transport and power generation. To achieve this they formed militant ‘flying pickets’ which also involved demobilised soldiers and housewives.
The tour will start at George Square, scene of the famous ‘battle’ on 31st January 1919 which led to troops being deployed in Glasgow and the arrest of the strike’s leaders. The walk will take in several other sites in the vicinity of the city centre that have a relation to the strike and the radical socialist politics of ‘Red Clydeside’.
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- Beatson Cancer Charity Gin and Sing, Bohemian Rhapsody
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival
- West End Shop Fronts, Virtual Tour Kelvin Hall
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Dusty Won’t Play at OranMor, West End Festival
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Summer Ball Fundraiser Craft Café Govan
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Italian Job GFT
- Class of 1984 | Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Sleepless in Seattle, GFT
- Robert the Bruce, GFT
- Late Night GFT