A Relaxed Performance of The Sleeping Beauty, Kings Theatre, Glasgow
FRIDAY 5 JANUARY,2017 11AM
THE KING’S THEATRE PRESENTS
A RELAXED PERFORMANCE OF SLEEPING BEAUTY
The National Autistic Society Scotland helped launch the Relaxed Performance of Cinderella at the King’s Theatre in Glasgow today. Ruaraidh Berry, who is attending the Relaxed Performance on Friday 5 January met with stars of the show Elaine C Smith (playing Fairy Bella Houston) and Johnny Mac (playing Muddles).
Following the success of the Relaxed Performance last panto season, the King’s Theatre is proud to once again be hosting a theatre experience specifically designed to welcome people with autism, learning difficulties or other sensory and communication needs.
There will be a less formal atmosphere in the auditorium with a relaxed attitude to noise, and house lights will be kept on low. Lighting, sound and special effects in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be softened to reduce anxiety. Audience members are free to move around and can use the designated chill out areas to relax.
Alison Cowan, King’s Creative Learning Manager and Access Champion is thrilled that the Relaxed Performance is continuing in at King’s. She said: “I am delighted that once again the King’s is offering this inclusive theatre experience with the support and expertise of the National Autistic Society Scotland.
“It is great to see that just by making a number of small but important adjustments, we can welcome people who might not otherwise experience the magic of live theatre.”
The National Autistic Society Scotland provided dedicated training for cast, crew and front of house staff to help tailor the customer experience and ensure families and school groups feel at ease. Staff members and charity volunteers will be on hand at all times during the performance should anyone require assistance.
There are a number of online resources available to help Relaxed Performance bookers prepare for their visit. A Visual Story explains each step of the theatre experience from arriving at a busy box office, taking your seat in a noisy auditorium and audience participation. The Ambassador Theatre Group has also collaborated with Widgit Software to create a selection of symbol resources, including flash cards, to outline the trip and help describe the plot and characters of Sleeping Beauty.
Relaxed Performance Online Resources
Visual Stories – www.atgtickets.com/access/visual-stories
Symbol Resources – www.atgtickets.com/access/symbol-resources
Kings Theate, 97 Bath St, Glasgow G2 4JN
Filed under: Christmas in Glasgow, Pantos and Christmas Shows in Glasgow, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Spirito, Interiors, Cards, Gifts, Crow Road, Broomhill, Glasgow
- Ashton Lane Hogmanay Street Party 2017
- A Relaxed Performance of The Sleeping Beauty, Kings Theatre, Glasgow
- Book Fair at the Botanics 28 and 29 December, 2017
- The Muppet Christmas Carol Screening and Toy Collection for Shelter Scotland, OranMor
- Christmas at GFT, 3 – 23 December, 2017
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Christmas Markets Glasgow City Centre – 9 November – 22 December, 2017
- The Glasgow Guild Christmas Department Store
- Called You Last Night From Glasgow, Club Night, Broadcast
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Glasgow Christmas Markets, Fairs and Shopping Events
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Avant Garde, Friday 22 December, 2017
- The Hidden Lane Late Night Shopping for Christmas
- Santa’s Magical Grotto at Lomond Shores until 24 December, 2017
- Mother India Christmas Menu
- Mistletoe and Mystery Evening , Partick Burgh Hall
- Merchant Square Christmas Craft Fair
- Christmas Drive In Movies, The Riverside Museum
- Milngavie Makers Market at Christmas