Relaxed Performance of Snow White 8 January, 2016 Kings Theatre
For the 2nd Year the King’s Theatre hosts a
of Snow White
Friday 8 January 2016 at 11am
Photo Credit – Ian Watson
Back Row – Conor Park (Linwood, aged 10), Jenny Paterson (NAS Director); Front Row – Des Clarke (Muddles), Joseph Bates (Erskine, aged 8), Jenny Hayley-Douglas (Snow White); Katie Muir (Paisley, aged 7)
The National Autistic Society Scotland helped launch the Relaxed Performance of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the King’s Theatre Glasgow. Families supported by the charity met stars of the panto, Jenny Hayley-Douglas and Des Clarke, ahead of the special performance on Friday 8 January 2016 at 11am.
Following the success of the Relaxed Performance last panto season, the King’s Theatre is proud to once again be hosting a theatre experience specifically designed to welcome people with autism, learning difficulties or other sensory and communication needs.
There will be a less formal atmosphere in the auditorium with a relaxed attitude to noise, and house lights will be kept on low. Lighting, sound and special effects in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be softened to reduce anxiety. Audience members are free to move around and can use the designated chill out areas to relax.
BR-Conor-Park-10-Jenny-Paterson-NAS-Director-FR-Des-Clarke-Muddles-Joseph-Bates-8-Jenny-Hayley-Douglas-Snow-White-Katie-Muir-7. Photo Credit – Ian Watson
Alison Cowan, King’s Creative Learning Manager and Access Champion, is thrilled to be building on the success of the King’s first Relaxed Performance: “I am delighted that once again the King’s is offering this inclusive theatre experience with the support and expertise of the National Autistic Society Scotland. It is great to see that just by making a number of small but important adjustments, we can welcome people who might not otherwise experience the magic of live theatre.”
Jenny Paterson, director of the National Autistic Society Scotland, said: “It was a pleasure to work with the cast and crew of Snow White to make this wonderful show autism-friendly. I am so pleased that the families we support will be able to enjoy a panto this Christmas; it’s the perfect way to celebrate the festive season. Oh yes it is!”
The National Autistic Society Scotland provided dedicated training for cast, crew and front of house staff to help tailor the customer experience and ensure families and school groups feel at ease. Staff members and charity volunteers will be on hand at all times during the performance should anyone require assistance.
There are a number of online resources available to help Relaxed Performance bookers prepare for their visit. A Visual Story explains each step of the theatre experience from arriving at a busy box office, taking your seat in a noisy auditorium and audience participation. The Ambassador Theatre Group has also collaborated with Widgit Software to create a selection of symbol resources, including flash cards, to outline the trip and help describe the plot and characters of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
‘Superb! Our children responded so well, even ones with noise sensitivities’
Teacher, High Blantyre Primary School
‘Loved it. A great day’
Group leader, Richmond Fellowship
‘Cast brilliant, a relaxed atmosphere and great to have a chill-out zone’
Leader, Sense Scotland
Box Office: 0844 871 7648 (bkg fee) calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
Schools & Group bookings: 0844 871 7602 calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
KING’S THEATRE I THEATRE ROYAL
297 Bath Street
Glasgow, G2 4JN
Filed under: Kids and young people, Pantos and Christmas Shows in Glasgow, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Isla and Pickle: The Highland Show – Hillhead Library, West End Festival
- The National Theatre of Scotland presents: The Reason I Jump, West End Festival 2018
- Into the Woods Collective, Art and Music Workshops, Children’s Wood
- Gaelic Sport and Fun Day St Fillans, Glasgow
- Moana Sing a long, GFT
- The Sparkle Horse Baby Disco
- Big Feed Street Food Special, Govan
- Family Fun Day, Hillhead Tennis Club, 20 May, 2018
- Concrete Soldiers Scottish Premiere of Documentary, Kinning Park Complex, Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- May Day Picnic, Glasgow Green
- Sparkle & Shine! Nativity! The Musical Seeks Children Across The UK For Star Roles
- Wee Write Literary and Book Festival for schools and children 2018
- Call for Young Programmers for 10th Anniversary of Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Children’s Wood Holiday Club
- Young Films Foundation, CCA
- Wee Write – Family Days at Aye Write! 3 and 4 March, 2018
- Monte Carlo Classic Rally, Paisley 31 January, 2018
- Santa’s Magical Grotto at Lomond Shores until 24 December, 2017