Refuweegee – welcoming refugees to Glasgow
Refuweegee is a community based project which helps welcome refugees to Glasgow in true weegie style! Get involved today at http://www.refuweegee.co.uk .
We’re all fae somewher
The project wants to provide the opportunity for those who wish to make a difference to do so.
The aim is to provide every Refuweegee who arrives in the city with a community built welcome pack.
Each pack will contain three categories:
Letters from Locals – add to that welcome and make each pack truly individual.
Plus – A Glasgow Welcome i.e. items, which whilst less essential are equally important to help people enjoy and understand life in Glasgow. You can donate and also suggest items for inclusion in this category. People of donated umbrellas or some favourite non-perishable foods.
Letters from Locals
‘Letters from the locals‘ are the heart and soul of the pack provided by Refuweegee. Postcards, letters or post it notes, as long as the words are welcoming and kind are what they are looking for.
Our words have the power to really make a difference to people who have had to flee their homes and leave behind their belongings. Help Refuweegee make sure that upon arrival in Glasgow people are left in no doubt as to their acceptance, their safety and their future.
Write your letter today and drop it into any Oxfam store in Glasgow where you will find a Refuweegee drop box or post it to;
PO Box 7639
Refugee Welcome Packs – Essential Items Required
Donations are needed for the welcome packs. The items need to be small enough to be carried away in a large bag or box. The list below provides a guide:
- Toiletries – pack an entire toilet bag or donate a single item; toothpaste, shampoo, soap, baby specific products, shower gel etc.
- Sanitary products, nappies and baby wipes.
- Hats, gloves, scarves – adult and child sizes, small warm winter woolies.
- Stationary – Notebooks, writing paper, pens, pencils and crayons.
- Items for children – colouring books, toys and games, soft toys (good condition only please).
- Clothing – Warm coats, jumpers, waterproofs, socks, underwear of all sizes.
- Books – for children and adults, fiction to dictionaries, to visitor guides.
- Bedding & towels – pillowcases, bed sheets, towels, face cloths
items to avoid
- Electrical goods.
- Bulky items like pillows or duvets.
- Perishable food items.
Drop off points:
City Centre Drop Off: Monday – Friday, between 9am and 6pm to drop in your donations and letters.
amiExecutive, The Italian Centre, 49 Cochrane Street, Glasgow, G1 1HL
Shawlands Drop Off, South Side of Glasgow: Harvest Co-op during normal opening ours – drop off donations and letters:
Harvest Co-op, 1143 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, G41 3YH.
To discuss donation of items, collection of letters or for further information about Refuweegee please email Selina@refuweegee.co.uk.
PO Box 7639
- Scotland All Day Sacred Harp Singing 2018
- Social Bite – Sleep in the Park – Tackling Homelessness in Scotland
- Musicians in Exile, The Pearce Institute
- Martha L Healy, Album Launch, The Glad Cafe
- Hazy Recollections – Woody Pines , Yvonne Lyon , Al Shields, Glasgow Americana
- The Glad Cafe, 6th birthday celebration
- Glasgow Americana – Yola Carter & The Red Pine Timber Co, Cottiers
- John Waters’ Polyester – Launch of Scalarama Programme 2018
- Garden Party Weekend, Fundraiser, Glasgow
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Festival 2018, Berlin on Screen GFT
- Seven Song Club Weekender, Merchant City Festival
- GlasGLOW at the Botanic Gardens – Hallowe’en
- Yorkhill and Finnieston Gala 2018
- Publishing Scotland International Showcase, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Glasgow Songwriting Festival
- Bute Noir 2018
- Brooklyn On Tour Comes To Glasgow
- Merchant City Festival 2018
- Festival 2018 Glasgow