May Day Rising, Rebel Heart OranMor, Monday 2 May, 2016
May Day Rising
Mon, 02 May, 2016 at 7:00pm
Celebrate May Day with a difference this year. To mark the Centenary of the Rising we host a rehearsed reading of this new theatre piece – Margaret Skinnider: Rebel Heart – inspired by the revolutionary and trade union leader Margaret Skinnider. Wounded fighting during the Easter Rising, Skinnider was an excellent markswoman and close friend of Constance Markiewicz; she was an active suffragette and went on to become the President of the Irish teachers’ union, whilst battling the authorities for decades to secure her war pension – denied to her as a woman. This powerful, moving drama is the fruition of six years of research and a major part of the efforts to achieve the rightful place in history for the Coatbridge born Margaret Skinnider.
Written by Cat Hepburn, directed by Sarah McCardie and originated by Maggie Chetty. With Clare Gray, Julie Hale and Erin McCardie.
This evening of celebration includes music from and inspired by the Rising with the wonderful folk legend Arthur Johnstone and Glasgow-based folk-punks The Wakes.
Presented by Fair Pley in conjunction with Glasgow Friends of May Day and the support of UNISON Scotland.
Oran Mór, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8QX.
- Film Listings at GFT, March 2018
- Nature Writing Beyond Landscape – Scottish Writers Centre, Glasgow
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Roteract Fancy a Cup of Tea with a Refugee, QMU, University of Glasgow
- Linda Jaxson Band, St Louis Cafe Bar, Partick Saturday 24 February, 2018
- Express Yourself, Women in Poetry at Tell It Slant, Friday 23 February, 2018
- Film Screening – Moonlight and Carol double feature, LGBT History Month QMU
- The Motherf**cker With The Hat, The Tron, Glasgow
- Dick Gaughan Tribute Concert at Celtic Connections 2018 – photography and review Pauline Keightley
- Colin Herd, Poet at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Blue Rose Code at Celtic Connections 2018 photos and review Pauline Keightley
- The Shape of Water, GFT
- Call Me By Your Name, GFT
- Soundtracking, Edith Bowman with Lynne Ramsay, GFT
- Phantom Thread GFT
- The Florida Project, GFT
- Sweet Country, Cineworld Glasgow
- Glasgow Film Festival 2018 at CCA
- The Breadwinner, GFT