May Day Rising, Rebel Heart OranMor, Monday 2 May, 2016
May Day Rising
Mon, 02 May, 2016 at 7:00pm
Celebrate May Day with a difference this year. To mark the Centenary of the Rising we host a rehearsed reading of this new theatre piece – Margaret Skinnider: Rebel Heart – inspired by the revolutionary and trade union leader Margaret Skinnider. Wounded fighting during the Easter Rising, Skinnider was an excellent markswoman and close friend of Constance Markiewicz; she was an active suffragette and went on to become the President of the Irish teachers’ union, whilst battling the authorities for decades to secure her war pension – denied to her as a woman. This powerful, moving drama is the fruition of six years of research and a major part of the efforts to achieve the rightful place in history for the Coatbridge born Margaret Skinnider.
Written by Cat Hepburn, directed by Sarah McCardie and originated by Maggie Chetty. With Clare Gray, Julie Hale and Erin McCardie.
This evening of celebration includes music from and inspired by the Rising with the wonderful folk legend Arthur Johnstone and Glasgow-based folk-punks The Wakes.
Presented by Fair Pley in conjunction with Glasgow Friends of May Day and the support of UNISON Scotland.
Oran Mór, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8QX.
- Gavin Sutherland ‘ Swinging Christmas’ at Glasgow City Halls
- Befriending Food Experience Launch
- M Gallery, Winter Exhibition Launch
- The Matrix, The Arches, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- The Stand Comedy Club Christmas Specials 2018
- Karine Polwart, Creative Conversations
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Audio, Christmas 2018
- Family Carol Service, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Innes Watson’s Guitar Colloquium, The Blue Arrow
- Doris, Dolly and the Dressing Room Divas, OranMor
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2018
- Fright Night and A Girl Walk Home Alone at Night, Burnt Church Film Club
- Die Hard GFT
- SQIFF18 A Girl at My Door CCA
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Refuweegee and Music Broth Unsilent Night Fundraiser
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced
- SUSTAIN £200 bursary available for Community Cinema Projects
- Home Alone GFT