May Day Rising, Rebel Heart OranMor, Monday 2 May, 2016
May Day Rising
Mon, 02 May, 2016 at 7:00pm
Celebrate May Day with a difference this year. To mark the Centenary of the Rising we host a rehearsed reading of this new theatre piece – Margaret Skinnider: Rebel Heart – inspired by the revolutionary and trade union leader Margaret Skinnider. Wounded fighting during the Easter Rising, Skinnider was an excellent markswoman and close friend of Constance Markiewicz; she was an active suffragette and went on to become the President of the Irish teachers’ union, whilst battling the authorities for decades to secure her war pension – denied to her as a woman. This powerful, moving drama is the fruition of six years of research and a major part of the efforts to achieve the rightful place in history for the Coatbridge born Margaret Skinnider.
Written by Cat Hepburn, directed by Sarah McCardie and originated by Maggie Chetty. With Clare Gray, Julie Hale and Erin McCardie.
This evening of celebration includes music from and inspired by the Rising with the wonderful folk legend Arthur Johnstone and Glasgow-based folk-punks The Wakes.
Presented by Fair Pley in conjunction with Glasgow Friends of May Day and the support of UNISON Scotland.
Oran Mór, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8QX.
- John Maclean, Hero of Red Clydeside by Henry Bell
- Lucky, GFT
- American Animals, GFT
- Make Me Up at GFT
- First Reformed GFT
- A Northern Soul, GFT
- The Greatest Showman Sing-a-long, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Hollie McNish OranMor
- Taggart Pilot Screening, The Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Vagabond GFT
- The Greatest Showman Eat/Film at Sloans
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Womens Work 100, Fairfield Govan
- Soft Cell One Final Time, Live from London, GFT
- ‘Young Solitude’ Review by Lola Rose
- Three Kinds of Kissing by Helen Lamb Book Launch
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley
- After He Died Book Launch, Michael J Malone
- Stuart Paterson, Write on Cue!
- Minis Rugby Hillhead Sports Club